Csaba's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Add name in another language in Maps

This should actually go to the "News and Updates" category but for obvious reasons, that's reserved for official Google announcements (by Googlers).

So it has been requested several times (like in this topic) and now it's here: we can add names in different languages in Maps. I am in Hungary and I use Maps both in Hungarian and in English. To change the language easily, you simply need to add (or change if it's already there) the URL parameter ?hl=en (for English for instance). Here is my test case (it was me who added it back a few months ago by the way): 

https://www.google.hu/maps/place/Angster+Memorial/@46.0773776,18.2192705,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1...

and in Hungarian: 

https://www.google.hu/maps/place/Angster+Memorial/@46.0773776,18.2192705,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1...

(look at the change of the URL parameter at the end of the URL). 

Now for obvious reasons, most of the businesses only have names in Hungarian around my place. Now I have switched my Maps to English, edited the place. When clicked on the "Name field", it showed an option to add a name in English: 

Enter English nameEnter English name

I added "Angster Memorial" and saved. Since I am a regular MapMaker user (with over 7400 successful and published edits), such "minor" edits do not usually go to a review queue for me but get published instantly: 

Successful editSuccessful edit

This is an extremely useful feature, thanks Google! To whom is it actually the most useful however? To those who live in a country where there is no MapMaker at the moment (until now, adding other languages was only possible in MapMaker) but their languages are still listed as possible languages for the Maps. And overall, it is a useful feature as MapMaker is clumsy and it is easier to make edits in Maps anyway so from now on, we do not need to switch between the two apps just to add another name. 

Of course, in MapMaker, there are other useful features, too, like adding more names in the same language (primary, official, abbreviated etc.) but this is a great step anyway. 

Note 1: this seems to only work on the desktop (web) version of the map. At least I have not found a way to do it in my Android Map App - although I can imagine Google is working on it (and delaying the announcement until that feature is also rolled out).

Note 2: "Angster" used to be an organ manufacturer in my city. Here is the Wikipedia article about the founder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3zsef_Angster That memorial is an "interactive" one - it plays organ music, too. Even in small village churches around like this one, there are Angster organs built in - and they still work today.

Angster-emlékmű, Pécs, Esze Tamás utca, Magyarország
7 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Add name in another language in Maps

Hi @lina707, yes, it does and I use this feature every day. Have you switched languages? 

Also, now maps display a smaller font secondary name for places that do not have the name you are browsing the maps in. If there is no manually given name, it displays the category as a name. This way you can see immediately where a manually given name (when it has any sense to add) is missing. 

And of course, it works the other way round, too. For a long time, when someone added a new place in maps, it gave the English name by default so in a lot of places where not English is the native tongue, now native names are missing. LG's can easily correct these (and get 5 points per edit immediately) now. 

Look at these series of screenshots: 

1 Says "Benzinkút" for a place. This means gas/petrol station and should not be here like this because we need the brand here, not the category as a name.

1.png

2 Next  when I click on it it turns out it does have a name: "OMV" (an Austrian gas/petrol station company).

2.png

3 When I go to edit the name it turns out that the English name field was filled in and the Hungarian is not (in the lower field it says "Add Hungarian name"). 

3.png

4 after adding the Hungarian name, I immediately received the "success" email. 🙂

4.png

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @Csaba,

Thank you very much for putting together this great guide!

I will try it on Chinese / English combo and let you know the result.

Level 10

This is a good idea, but its not working in Hong Kong, and it is Google's bug.

After I edit it with hl=zh-hk (Hong Kong Traditional Chinese), your suggested field is in there and it said input the Traditional Chinese name.

However, when I go to Map Maker (although I cannot edit, as Map Maker is not open in HK), it become in Japanese field, not Traditional Chinese field!  

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Level 10

Hi @Brett,

Otherwise than this apparent bug in MapMaker, does "work" in Maps (well, you can only test it if it gets published, I guess). 

And/or what happens if you simply add ?hl=zh (i.e. without the country extension)?

Level 6

@Csaba Does this solution still work for you? I'm not able to make it work when I try to add a place name in a second language. 

Connect Moderator

Nice information @Csaba thanks for sharing this with us. This is very helpful 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 7

@lina707 You can tag him in your question for him to be notified quickly. 

Level 10
Solution

Hi @lina707, yes, it does and I use this feature every day. Have you switched languages? 

Also, now maps display a smaller font secondary name for places that do not have the name you are browsing the maps in. If there is no manually given name, it displays the category as a name. This way you can see immediately where a manually given name (when it has any sense to add) is missing. 

And of course, it works the other way round, too. For a long time, when someone added a new place in maps, it gave the English name by default so in a lot of places where not English is the native tongue, now native names are missing. LG's can easily correct these (and get 5 points per edit immediately) now. 

Look at these series of screenshots: 

1 Says "Benzinkút" for a place. This means gas/petrol station and should not be here like this because we need the brand here, not the category as a name.

1.png

2 Next  when I click on it it turns out it does have a name: "OMV" (an Austrian gas/petrol station company).

2.png

3 When I go to edit the name it turns out that the English name field was filled in and the Hungarian is not (in the lower field it says "Add Hungarian name"). 

3.png

4 after adding the Hungarian name, I immediately received the "success" email. 🙂

4.png