LStefanoL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A location's secondary name(s)

How do i add a secondary name for a business like we used to be able to do in Map Maker to avoid ungodly long and confused location names?

7 comments
Level 10

Re: A location's secondary name(s)

Hi @LStefanoL

You can still do it in MapMaker but you cannot yet do it in the (simple) map. 

Hopefully, during the "migration" of features from MapMaker to Maps, this feature will also be ported. I also find it useful (in my country, many institutions have extremely long and complex names and people will not even recognize them but always use the "unofficial", shorter names).

Level 10

@LStefanoL & @Csaba

The topic which you both had discussed is mandatory in maps because there are so many country whose native language is other than English language. If this facility is not provided then map will not be helpful for those native people who don't know English.

Level 8

I wholeheartedly agree.

Level 10

Hi @BishowvijayaP

We are not talking about different names in different languages - you can already do this in Maps (I have just added English and German to a place originally only in Hungarian) just switch to a different language* - but different names in the same language. In MapMaker, there is an option to add more names and mark them as primary, shortened, official etc. in the same language. 

_______

* it is easy to switch on a desktop; just add ?hl=en (for English) for instance at the end of the URL. Similarly, ?hl=de would be German etc. On a mobile, you will need to switch the language of the OS.

Level 8

Yes it can be done like that but it sucks. It's a workaround, a hack.

Level 10

@Csaba, Yeah I also have done the same from mapmaker many times. But since google is telling us that mapmaker is closing from March, so this feature should be in maps.google.com. I hope I made my demand clear. 🙂

Level 10

Yes, I agree both of you. The other feature also needs to be ported as well as a more streamlined workflow created. One cannot be prolific when having to switch all the time.