AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Galle Meetup - Had a nice time with Galle Local Guides

The recently concluded Galle Local Guides meet-up was a nice experience. The day was cloudy, but the participants were excited. This is the first meet-up held in Sri Lanka wearing the Sri Lanka Loca Guides T-Shirts. Thanks @IlankovanT for T-Shirts.

Reactions from participants:

Vajira Viraj Thanks @N G LV

Vajira Viraj on Google+ Thanks @N G LV

Video from @IlankovanT

Galle Fort LighthouseGalle Fort Lighthouse

Galle Local Guides with Sri Lanka Local Guides T-ShirtGalle Local Guides with Sri Lanka Local Guides T-Shirt

Video Credit: @IlankovanT

Who wants a Sri Lanka Local Guides T-Shirt....Who wants a Sri Lanka Local Guides T-Shirt....

Initially, we had a discussion, and we decided to roam around some streets in the Galle Fort before map editing session. Once we started the walk we found out a lot of places were not marked on the Google map.

While roaming around the streets.While roaming around the streets.

We did our best to cover one street and it took almost one and half hours. 

Ramp Art - a missing place on Google MapsRamp Art - a missing place on Google Maps

Adding missing places...Adding missing places...

One of the interesting cases we found was that Google Map is not allowing us to add two museums(Maritime Museum and Maritime Archaeology Museum) in the same building. These museums are run by two organisations. All of us try to make the changes, we are waiting to see the correct entries on the map. The plaques of two museums are given below. @Corrie @GusMoreira @HelloJess  Can you suggest how to added places like this?

maritime_museum.jpg

maritime_archaeology_museum.jpg

We are looking forward to organising few more meet-ups to cover the missing places in the Galle Fort.

You can see more photos by visiting this Google Photo album by @IlankovanT.

Anuradha's photos album

Photo credit: @IlankovanT and @AnuradhaP

Galle Fort, Galle, Sri Lanka
31 comments
Level 9

Re: Galle Meetup - Had a nice time with Galle Local Guides

@AnuradhaP @IlankovanT Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

As I am a true cricket lover I remember some amazing cricket matches both ODI & test (between India and Sri Lanka) played here in Galle and I saw those matches over television. I heard the ground was devastated by tsunami and then again reconstructed. 

Could you share some photos of that stadium? How far is the stadium from your place? 

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Level 10

@DrShaunak I am also a cricket lover. My apartment is 3.5 km away from Galle international cricket stadium. 

I will take some photos of the stadium and upload them in near future.

Why don't you come here to watch a match?

Level 9

Thanks @AnuradhaP Yes. I do have plan to visit your country some day. 🙂 

Local Hero: Mapping Calcutta’s Hospitals | Instagram | Facebook| Twitter | YouTube | LGSummit16, LGSummit17, SVT18 alumnus
Former Google Contributor

Thanks for sharing this meet-up recap with us, @AnuradhaP 🙂 We featured it on the Homepage today!

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 12.49.49 PM.png

Level 8

Thanks for sharing such type of Discoveries with us.

@AnuradhaP 

Level 10

Wow! Congrats! Nice t-shirts too!!!

I should create something similar for my meetup... but we will cost me too much!!!!

Level 8

Awesome! Will have to try to do something here in Latvia!

Level 10

@AnuradhaP thanks for sharing galle meet up photos. 

Level 10

@Corrie Thank you for selecting our recap of Galle Fort Meetup as the featured discussion on Local Guides Connect. All participants will be really happy.

Thanks everyone.. specially @IlankovanTfor all the things he did to make this event a success.