Mjyates's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Can we edit photo location posted by others

Hey

I often come across pictures that have been posted by other people but the pictures have no relevance to the particular location. Sometimes I even can recognise the locations but I cannot seem to find a way to delete them or move them.

I'm a great believer in having less information that is correct, or relevant, than just loads of stuff that had no use.

I know that a picture can be reported to google, but this is a long process and there is a box 'not relevant to this location' A simpler method with a 'incorrect location' tickbox would be better.

Thailand
4 comments
Level 9

Re: Can we edit photo location posted by others

@Mjyates wrote:

Hey

I often come across pictures that have been posted by other people but the pictures have no relevance to the particular location. Sometimes I even can recognise the locations but I cannot seem to find a way to delete them or move them.

I'm a great believer in having less information that is correct, or relevant, than just loads of stuff that had no use.

Hey @Mjyates,

No you can't change the location of any photo posted by other users but easily can flag them as inappropriate. 

For more information here is an article posted by #Gus,

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

Hi @deepakjhic thanks for the link.

I am aware of this but it is quite a long and tedious operation and there are often loads of pictures. It's very time consuming.

I really feel strongly about the amount of information that is irrelevant or incorrect. It's something I try to focus on.

Level 9

Yes I can understand it's not easy but do you know after searching a spammer on map, you can report his/her all contribution?

Mjyates

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 9

Re: Can we edit photo location posted by others?

@Mjyates wrote:

Hey

I know that a picture can be reported to google, but this is a long process and there is a box 'not relevant to this location' A simpler method with a 'incorrect location' tickbox would be better.

I agree, a lot of photos are published by mistake to the wrong place. It is very easy to make mistake when one as turist made a lot of photos and in a coffee publishing the photos. The tiny icons are hard to identify. The flag menu now has a new option "Other" reason with free text where you can point the Googler to the correct place. It would be pity to remove a good photo, much better to move it. But the Googler has not the local knowledge, it is good to mention the target POI. Trusted Photographers should be allowed to move photos, an audit trail shows who has done what, and mischievous/clumsy TP should loose the special power. Read my entry about the function and badge Master Cleaner.