TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

How to answer accessibility questions on Google Maps

Caption: An illustrated gif of several different people in motion including someone in a wheelchair, a person with a walker, someone with a stroller, and two people running.Caption: An illustrated gif of several different people in motion including someone in a wheelchair, a person with a walker, someone with a stroller, and two people running.

When answering questions on Google Maps, you might encounter at least five different kinds of questions related to accessibility: 

• Is there a wheelchair-accessible entrance?
  • Is there a wheelchair-accessible bathroom?
  • Is there wheelchair-accessible seating?
  • Is there wheelchair-accessible parking?
  • Is there a wheelchair-accessible elevator?

Here are a few tips for answering these questions accurately to help those looking for accessible places in the future on Google Maps:

Caption: An illustration of a wheelchair accessible entrance.Caption: An illustration of a wheelchair accessible entrance.

Is there a wheelchair-accessible entrance?

Answer yes if the entrance is at least one meter (three feet) wide with no steps. One meter (three feet) is approximately the minimum comfortable width for two people to stand side-by-side. If there are one or more steps, answer no unless there is a ramp or wheelchair lift (and please describe and photograph steep, narrow or rickety ramps in your review). Where a business/service can be accessed without entry (for example, an outdoor food cart), answer yes. Entryways that consist of only revolving doors should be marked no. And automatic (push-button) doors are not a necessity, though helpful to note in reviews.

Caption: An illustration of an accessible bathroom.Caption: An illustration of an accessible bathroom.

Is there a wheelchair-accessible bathroom?

Answer yes if the restroom  entrance is at least one meter wide, and can be reached with no steps. One meter (three feet) is approximately the minimum comfortable width for two people to stand side-by-side. If a wheelchair user would need to enter a stall to use the toilet, the stall entrance also needs to be one meter (three feet) wide. The door should also be able to close behind a wheelchair in order for the restroom to be considered accessible.And grab bars around the toilet are not a necessity, though helpful to note in reviews.

Caption: An illustration of an accessible seating area.Caption: An illustration of an accessible seating area.

Is there wheelchair-accessible seating?

Answer yes if a wheelchair can navigate to a table or other seating area. If all tables or serving counters are high (e.g. at standing level), or all seating can only be reached via stairs, answer no.

Caption: An illustration of an accessible parking area.Caption: An illustration of an accessible parking area.

Is there wheelchair-accessible parking?

Answer yes if there is a parking spot specifically marked for those with accessibility needs. These are usually marked with specific painting on the ground or with placards or signs.

Caption: An illustration of an accessible elevator.Caption: An illustration of an accessible elevator.

Is there a wheelchair-accessible elevator?

Answer yes if the business is multistoried and there is an elevator that is large enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

Local Guides -- and all Maps user who contribute -- make a difference by providing important information like this. While you may not be going out much these days, you can keep this information in mind for future visits. Thank you for making Google Maps better for everyone!

Do you have any other accessibility tips for the community? Let us know in the comments below.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
83 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Answer accessibility questions on Google Maps accurately

What an awesome way to impact people's lives. I remember a few years ago working in DC and speaking with a differently abled advocate. She spoke of hotel rooms and difficulties getting up lobby stairs - even when the rooms themselves were accessible. 

Googler

Definitely! Only after learning more about accessibility did I realize how some people face so many challenges. For example, many bars and places in Toronto have restaurants in their basement, so while the entrance and seating may be accessible, those folks can't use the restroom if they are also in a wheelchair! And that's only the tip of the iceberg. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

I have an uncle who has been a paraplegic since the age of 10. He's now close to 70. It's really in the last 20 years that he has been able to get around more in SF, which has some of the most liberal disability laws in California, let alone the US itself. I was very excited to see these 4 questions recently being asked on Google Maps. I wholeheartedly answer each and every one of these because my family bases handicapped accessbility when it comes time to choosing restaurants and places so that my uncle can attend.

We always call a business first to ask whether they can accomodate a person in a wheelchair and 10 -20 people then determine if it makes sense for us to go to this place. With this new feature, I hope to one day see whether a blue wheelchair symbol is next to a Google Maps business or place. It will definitely save time and help with my family's decision making process of whether to visit the place or not if my uncle is planning to attend a family get-together

Googler

@KarenVChin, Thank you for sharing that personal story of how accessibility information helps you and your family. I will share your feedback regarding a wheelchair symbol to signify which places are wheelchair-accessible. 

Connect Moderator

Thanks @TraciC I greatly appreciate it. I have more disability stories if you need more. 😃

Level 10

Re: Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps

Thanks Traci for the clear guidance. I work with the local (well, regional) building authority so I more or less know what an accessible entrance should look like but I was uncertain about the seating part (expected something "special", not so trivial). From now on, I'll be more self confident when answering these types of questions.

Level 2

Accessibility is not restricted to mobility, what about vision impairment, the provision of hearing augmentation for people that are deaf etc.

Level 1

Having people guesstimate the entrance being 1M as Yes & No only may not be best. Try Yes, No & Narrow. 

Why? There are wheelchairs that are much more narrow than others for the purpose of accessing narrow doorways. If the information simply give a "NO" those folks will be discouraged to go there.

Level 8

Thanks for this @TraciC! I've added it to the Toronto community. I totally agree with you, washrooms sometimes can be downstairs without an elevator in Toronto so this is very insightful.