Andréas_S_Eriksson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Why are there virtually no street view of Cyprus?

Some weeks ago I visited Cyprus and I found rather fast that there are not all that much activity on Maps in Cyprus. Yes, there is a rather good deal of reviews of shops and restaurants. But there is no Street View coverage at all. Sure some 20 blocks in the most center of Nicosia but nothing other than that. How come? Is there some issues shipping a Google car there? There are better coverage in small villages here in Sweden than in a nation's capitol. It doesn't seem right. Does anyone have some input on this to share?Present Street View coverage in central Nicosia, Cyprus.Present Street View coverage in central Nicosia, Cyprus.

Andréas S. Eriksson
Nicosia, Cypern
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Why are there virtually no street view of Cyprus?

Hi @Andréas_S_Eriksson the Google Street View cars have not visited every place on the planet. As you can imagine building Street View is a gargantuan task. Looking at the SV that is available in Cyprus much (most) of it has been contributed by a single volunteer. If you visit SV and look at the image it will show you who has made it in this case they use the name "Makro 360". Any Local Guide can contribute SV imagery and create blue lines.

I made a tutorial on how to do it recently

Level 9

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich.
I have bought a LG 360 degree camera and I am just waiting for a helmet mount and then I will be off and mapping all kinds of places. 😃

On the topic of adding routes made from my own 360-degree cam. Will those be available via Google Maps or is it only via Google Street View-app? 

Andréas S. Eriksson
Connect Moderator

Hi @Andréas_S_Eriksson once the blue lines form the Street View you create becomes available in both Maps and Street View. Before the blue line forms you'll only see spots of the individual 360 images.

You can always try it, but the LG 360 is not in the list of Street View video compatible cameras - the supported cameras are at https://www.google.com/streetview/publish/ and you need to use the latest version of the Android Street View App.

I originally had a Theta S and it did not support the video mode (option not available in the App). If the camera is supported video mode will be there. I'm using the Theta V with great success.

Regards Paul

Level 5

I was thinking the same thing when I was surfing on Google Maps back in 2008 and complaining why Cyprus didn't have any roads, village names, city details etc. No navigation, no information, nothing! Then I took the plunge and I mapped the whole Northern Cyprus and some of Government Controlled areas via Google MapMaker. Now you can use this map, only because I decided to help.

Now, like you, I'm complaining why there's no street view on Cyprus. Guess what... Got Ricoh Theta V and will map Cyprus again this summer.

Be like me!