RoseAngelyn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Why #SupportLocal is More Than Just a Hashtag

Historically speaking, the Philippines had been under colonial rule for more than 300 years. The term “colonial mentality” still thrives even to this day, only fueled this time by capitalism. Not much has changed in the age of information. 

Colonial mentality thrives through posting of photos with global brands tagged. The number of “likes” has become some sort of validation, sometimes with the help of hashtags—pulling in more audience outside one’s circle.

And in the sea of influencers, sponsored posts, and monetized accounts, this little hashtag called #SupportLocal is making its own little wave trying to draw back more Filipinos to their own roots.

This movement became very personal to me when my boyfriend (now husband) started his own t-shirt company supporting indie-music artists back in 2012. Although the scene was small, I observed how committed and enthusiastic people in the scene were. Filipinos from all walks of life rallied behind their favorite indie artists buying merch, from $1 sticker to $9 shirts without haggling. In 2013, when we shifted our niche to a very specific market—jiu-jitsu artists to be specific—it surprised us that the same energy and patronage welcomed his small business. But something was different this time. Clients started posting online photos of their new shirts with the hashtag #SupportLocal.

Without realizing it, we were part of the movement. And Filipinos celebrate being Filipinos by buying products that represent their heritage. In that little niche, we witnessed how Filipinos, in their own little way contribute to this underrated movement. In their own little way…

Back in 2017 in one of our regular road trips to the rural areas of Tanay, I got a prompt from Google Maps: Are you in Rock House Restaurant? Add photos...

I checked Google Maps and found the restaurant with very few photos and zero reviews. I felt a little bothered that such nice restaurant has this kind of profile online particularly on Google Maps. I then decided to take photos of the place and the food. And while we were enjoying our meal, I waited for the “Google Maps Contribute” app to finish downloading.  Before we left the place, I checked my contributions and was surprised that the photo I have uploaded already had several views.

It was that moment I discovered “my own little way” of championing the #SupportLocal movement. And as a person who does not actively post on social media, I knew that being a Local Guide brings so much impact in the movement without actually using the hashtag.

For two years now, being in the Local Guides program gave more meaning to all my trips.

As a Local Guide, I now have this duty to share to my fellow Filipinos that there are local businesses that embodies our culture. From Spanish-era churches, underrated beaches, to community eateries, the Local Guides program have helped me put these places on a pedestal for my fellow Filipinos to find out--then enjoy.

58571137_2240482286016974_1825924523199823872_n.jpg58902270_2425321537498911_4931552062824513536_n.jpg

Caption: Which Halo-halo is the best? Both restaurants are not from the Metro, but both are way better than those served in fancy restaurants in the capital.

For some, reaching a higher level or generating millions of views for each photos is the goal for the program, but for me, it is to give these local businesses the chance to flourish by making their online presence reputable. Although Local Guides don’t really get a “thank you” from these businesses, it is enough to know that our feedback will eventually help a business owner cover their daily expenses and continue the business.

LG Profile.JPG

Caption: Almost two years a local guide, but with only 2 million total views because I only contribute places/businesses which needed improvement with their online presence.

With the Local Guides program, the whole #SupportLocal movement is given another avenue to influence more Filipinos to celebrate being Filipinos through the patronage of small local businesses.  

Philippines Country, Philippines