EliasMaia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Why I love posting pictures of places at Google Maps

Hi there,

my name is Elias, and I am a Local Guide from Teresina, Piaui, Brazil.

I am currently a Local Guide level 7, and currently Google Maps shows that I have uploaded 814 pictures so far. But why have I uploaded so many pictures?

Why do people upload at least one picture, by the way? Well, it's hard to answer for the others, but for me, I love when I am looking for a place at Google Maps and I find many pictures of it: pictures of the entrance, of the front doors, pictures of the inside and the outside, pictures that show the details of that given place. I don't know if this has happened to you, but it's so frustrating for me when I am going for the first time somewhere, and look up for that place at Google Maps but can't find even a picture of it. Some other times, we might be able to find a picture of a place, but, when we are going to see the date of the picture, we see that the picture is very old, and the place probably does not look that way anymore.

So, these are some of the biggest reasons that make me take pictures of places and post them on Google Maps. From the time I started contributing as a Local Guide till now, I posted pictures of places where I lived, pictures from trips, pictures of places I was just visiting, pictures of places I worked at, I studied at, public buildings, parks, malls, from places where I ate, soccer stadiuns and many other kinds.

I am going to share with you links for some of the picture I took that have a big number of views.

This is a picture of the famous Las Vegas sign, which I took when I visited Las Vegas, when I was studying in the US as an exchange student. This is the picture I posted with the biggest number of views. So far it has 297.992

Las Vegas sign

This is a picture of the front, the entrance of my city's airport. This is my #3 views ranked picture, and it has so far 79.346 views.

Teresina's Airport

This is a picture of one of the entrances of the main campus of UESPI - Universidade Estadual do Piauí, the state university of Piaui, the state where I live in. This is my #4 views ranked picture, it has 74.982 views so far.

UESPI's entrance

One fun thing I remember about posting photos and info of places at Google Maps is that when my parents realized that I was taking photos everywhere we were going and visiting to post to Maps, they started to pointing me out places and saying things like "Hey, Elias, didn't you take picture of this?", "Hey, Elias, did you see that, take a picture to post to Google Maps!", and so it began. So, it's funny to remember that, and it always make me laugh when that happens.

Well, I love also contributing to Google Maps through other ways, but one of the things I do mostly as a contributor is posting pictures. So, these are my main reasons for that. This is one of the greatest ways I found to be useful and helpful for other people using my phone and computer. I want to continue contributing as a Local Guide for a long time, and hope to motivate others to join us at doing so. Thank you!