Rohlik's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Level 10

Why I cannot create POI with monument category?β€ŒπŸ€”β€Œ

Hello dear Googlers and LG community πŸ‘‹,

We are living in dynamic world, where history is written every day. This is also reason why new memorial monuments are made.

Why I cannot create new monument with proper category in Google map, like this one https://goo.gl/maps/ESxhQcjD8ePrXV8t5? πŸ€”

This have negative impact on Google maps in term of quality, because people creating this kind of places anyway but with different (wrong) categories like "Hiking area", "Historical place" or even "Tourist attraction". 

Solution here is simple, allow us to select category "monument" in list of categories.

4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Why I cannot create POI with monument category?β€ŒπŸ€”β€Œ

Hello @Rohlik 

In general,I think historical landmark is close enough to a monumental place since we don't have monument as a category on the maps.

I also see a  monument maker on the list of categories as well don't know if it's closer or same.

Otherwise you can use the idea exchange board to suggest that Monument category be added to the list of categories. Morten and @JanVanHaver  are very experienced when it comes to categories on the maps.

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

Thank you @SholaIB  for that prompt reaction πŸ‘. Well, monument category exists (example) it cannot just be used for new places created by us πŸ˜”.

Category "monument maker", as I understand it, is something totally different and it's used for company/individual who create monuments, for example cemetery tombstone, etc.

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the tag @SholaIB 

I think @Rohlik that the problem with the word "Monument" might be that it is interpreted differently in different languages. In any case: although it might have been available in the past (as you can see on the POI that you linked to), it no longer is available to us now. The ones we do have now are: Historical landmark (as suggested by @SholaIB ), Cultural landmark and Heritage preservation. But unfortunately - in the best Google tradition - there are no guidelines when exactly to use which, so it's up to your best personal judgments in the individual situation.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Thank you for replying as well. It's always good to try to answer some questions or react to some posts on connect. You end up having to learn even more.

I didn't know that Monument category exists at all,but I see now in the link you sent @Rohlik. Well try out your luck on the idea exchange board search for idea and put in your vote, if it hasn't been suggested already please suggest it,you never know.

@JanVanHaver yes I have realised that categories depends alot on the context and even countries or regions. I appreciate your prompt reply as well. In general I try to choose a category that's the closest to what I am adding if the main one I need is not available. Historical landmark might do the job,but anyways....

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge