cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Re: Wheelchair-accessibility questions

AniH,

i partially agree with you:

if there is a parking slot suitable for wheelchair-adapted vehicles, i would answer yes, even if you have to cross the street.

proximity distance??? no masturbation, at a sightview, or right behind the corner 🙂

wheelchair-accessible entrance on a side is always accettable, for most of times it is a way to bypass architectural problems, so answer yes

here i quite agree with you, accessible-seating in a rteastaurant implies the restrooms are accessible, and it is not often true

thankyou so much

Level 6

@JamieM, many thanks for your feedback. I'll try to add specific notes in my future reviews to locations when the answers to the wheelchair-accessibility questions might not be sufficient.

Level 6

@renataro thank you. I think I'll go with your suggestions, and whenever it is not an easy yes/no answer, I will add a review with specific notes, like @JamieM recommended.

Level 8

Toilets with wheelchair accessibility is a great idea. that can be a "question".

Level 2

Hi Jaime , as you said it isn't as symple . Ive been working in this area and its so complicate to asses all the items.I used to vidit the place with wheelchairs people, they are used to do this accesible asessment ,but even in this case its so many variables to check .As we said evey person is different.But you dont think we could do an assess of the most important thing to get to the places to make thing esasy for everyone . But that its true well done.

@Otiecoyote wrote:

Just saying "No" is far too simplistic. I can travel miles in my wheelchair, completely independently. I am more than cabable of crossing the road! But others may not be. It would do a massive disservice to local business and this whole platform if other people judged what I and other disabled people are cabable of doing. Provide us with good information and let us make up our own mind. Don't try to make that decision for us.

Level 4

Hello everyone,

Let say hi from Bangkok, Thailand.

We're working on the accessibility too .. and we've just requested to Google Map to remove the wrong information out.

Ref to : http://www.accessibilityisfreedom.org/en/tag/google-map-en/

We're here in Thailand and we're facing a lot of accessible trouble, we'd like to get connect to Google Map team to co-work for our local city related information.

Accessibility Is Freedom
https://www.facebook.com/AccessibilityIsFreedom

Level 4

Saba, btw you are doing a good job 👏🏾 over there 

Level 2

I agree with the info, info. The more you can access information the more comfortable you feel about going to a particular place. I had 2 unfortunate stays at 2 separate hotels, simply because there was not enough info on the website. However on my behalf I should have asked more questions. It's a learning process. 

@Otiecoyote wrote:

For some reason I can't reply to the original post either. I am a wheelchair user and would say that the more info you can give the better. I am a very independent wheelchair user whereas others may need total care because they cannot move the chair themselves. Our needs may be completely different and not even other wheelchair users will know everyone's needs in every situation. So "info, info, info and, if you can, more info!". 

Think of it as providing the information to help the wheelchair user make a decision. You're not making the decision for them (and can't be blamed for getting it wrong!) 

Level 4

@jacquelinef, Jaqueline, I can immagine the feeling when you arrive to a "accessible" place and suddenly you realise their different point of view, and you did not put many questions because your being independent and strong was a must. well, at least it was my behaviour. 

but I changed over the years, pretending more and more from others.

now I am renting a couple of disabled-friendly studio-apartments in Tuscany; on my own  website I put many pictures letting understand the space between things in the room.

I received a negative comment regarding publishing pictures of the bathroom, but I answered that when I travele I "need to know" much on how a bathroom is. on the other side, I agree, those are not the perfect marketing photos.

besides, I put al the meaningful measures on a the Accomable website, and bytheway, the make a great job in accessible accommodations  

Level 7

@AniH wrote:

And finally, in my country many restaurants have their rest-rooms in the basement (accessible only by stairs, no elevators). Should I answer wheelchair-accessible seating with No, even if there are suitable seats? I think restrooms are an important feature for restaurants and similar locations, so I tend to say No. What's your opinion?

It isn't the correct technical answer but I would answer No.

Whatever the quality of the rest of the restaurant I would be sure to add a review, a low star review highlighting the lack of access to a restroom.