AniH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Wheelchair-accessibility questions

I've found this posting Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps very helpful, since I'm not a wheelchair user, but I would like to answer these important questions. Unfortunately, I can't reply to the post, so I leave my questions regarding edge cases here.

If wheelchair-accessible parking is available across a street, would I say Yes or No? (I would think if there are safe ways to get across the street it's a Yes, else a No)

And what's the max distance in the proximity to say Yes? Not sure what would be normally acceptable conditions and distance for wheelchair users.

Wheelchair-accessible entrance: Some locations have a prominent / main entrance with steps or that are not accessible, but they have a less prominent side entrance that is wheelchair-accessible. Do I choose Yes or No?

And finally, in my country many restaurants have their rest-rooms in the basement (accessible only by stairs, no elevators). Should I answer wheelchair-accessible seating with No, even if there are suitable seats? I think restrooms are an important feature for restaurants and similar locations, so I tend to say No. What's your opinion?

Kempten, Germany
26 comments
Level 7

Re: Wheelchair-accessibility questions

@TraciC do you know why the original post can't accept replies?

Level 1

This is great, but perhaps a question about wheelchair accessible toilets could be added?

Level 7

A mod may have the opportunity to write articles as open or closed discussions. In  this case i agree with you it would be fine to give replies.

@ZachM wrote:

@TraciC do you know why the original post can't accept replies?

Level 3

For some reason I can't reply to the original post either. I am a wheelchair user and would say that the more info you can give the better. I am a very independent wheelchair user whereas others may need total care because they cannot move the chair themselves. Our needs may be completely different and not even other wheelchair users will know everyone's needs in every situation. So "info, info, info and, if you can, more info!". 

Think of it as providing the information to help the wheelchair user make a decision. You're not making the decision for them (and can't be blamed for getting it wrong!) 

Level 5

Yes, I was going to respond too. As a person with a mobility impairment myself there is so many other wonderful points which could be incorporated. Such as Hearing loop, assistant pet friendly. Menu available in Braille or even part of the vulnerable person, autism aware or dementia friendly schemes. Superb topic. Sorry I'm totally new so being able to reply specifically would be excellent. Thanks

Level 1

I would say no to all three questions. No accsess.

Level 3

Just saying "No" is far too simplistic. I can travel miles in my wheelchair, completely independently. I am more than cabable of crossing the road! But others may not be. It would do a massive disservice to local business and this whole platform if other people judged what I and other disabled people are cabable of doing. Provide us with good information and let us make up our own mind. Don't try to make that decision for us.

Level 4

i would add a symbol, a funny one, to define a wheelchair accessible place, but a prerequisite to fulfill this symbol should be a detailed 3 questions/answers:

doors/access/steps accessible

parking accessible

bathroom accessible

the symbol should be present even if only 1 over 3 is accessible, but, as mentioned before, the disable may be able to decide by himself what is good for him.

living on a wheelchair i can only immagine phisically unpaired (? injuried, unpared ?? sorry for my language) needs

Level 2

Hello everyone,I am working in this area at the moment,as volunter.in Málaga we work doing accesible turistic rutes for people with different disabilities .About the way to consider if the place is wheelchair accesible, there are in my case an official classification.In my country is DALCO  its an goverment or accesible department law.

But the best way in my case,it is to get to the place with a person with a wheelchair.I like to get the accesible rute checked with a person.I thinks is the best way.

@AniH wrote:

I've found this posting Answering accessibility questions on Google Maps very helpful, since I'm not a wheelchair user, but I would like to answer these important questions. Unfortunately, I can't reply to the post, so I leave my questions regarding edge cases here.

If wheelchair-accessible parking is available across a street, would I say Yes or No? (I would think if there are safe ways to get across the street it's a Yes, else a No)

And what's the max distance in the proximity to say Yes? Not sure what would be normally acceptable conditions and distance for wheelchair users.

Wheelchair-accessible entrance: Some locations have a prominent / main entrance with steps or that are not accessible, but they have a less prominent side entrance that is wheelchair-accessible. Do I choose Yes or No?

And finally, in my country many restaurants have their rest-rooms in the basement (accessible only by stairs, no elevators). Should I answer wheelchair-accessible seating with No, even if there are suitable seats? I think restrooms are an important feature for restaurants and similar locations, so I tend to say No. What's your opinion?