AndiBrata's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

What makes the photo became the cover?

What factors make the photo became the cover at a location?

because i made a new location and a live but the cover does not change. 

in other cases, I add a photo in a location. The place was a lot of photos, when I managed to add, my photo became the cover. 

Thank you. 

Indonesia Local Guides | Malang Local Guides | Instagram  

9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: What makes the photo became the cover?

The main thing is to upload the first EVER photo of the business. And this often occurs when you are the LG that create the placepage in maps.

The second thing is 360. Panoramic photos, are most likely to be featured or, at least, to be the first in the row.

The third thing is quality and relevance to the business.

View solution in original post

Level 7

That is a good question, I've wondered the same thing.  I mostly take 360 images and they dont become cover photos, but are prominently listed in the pics list...  I look forward to learning....

@AndiB wrote:

What factors make the photo became the cover at a location?

because i made a new location and a live but the cover does not change. 

in other cases, I add a photo in a location. The place was a lot of photos, when I managed to add, my photo became the cover. 

Thank you. 

Level 9

I hope anyone could answer. I am curious. 

Level 10
Solution

The main thing is to upload the first EVER photo of the business. And this often occurs when you are the LG that create the placepage in maps.

The second thing is 360. Panoramic photos, are most likely to be featured or, at least, to be the first in the row.

The third thing is quality and relevance to the business.

Level 9

i think quality and relevance is the answer.

thank you for help, mate!

Level 8

Relevance is not necessarily a factor in my experience. I did a electric bike shop that also has a small repair facility. Google is showing the repair bench I submitted as the cover photo over other great shots of the bikes and sales shop. Sounds like the only way to get them to change is to delete the current cover photo. Any other suggestions?

Level 10

Quality and relevance is what I would prefer to see on the cover photo of many listings. Ideally that would be the case, but when you have a tram stop as a picture and instead have a picture of a dining area, I don't think that's acceptable. Or if there's a listing of a famous historical bridge in Parramatta and the cover photos are pictures of Docklands in Melbourne, you can't help but laugh in humiliation.

There are still prominent algorithms that determine which ones could be cover photos, and cycle in time. I have countlessly reported multiple photos that weren't relevant to the photo, but how would the Google reviewer know if they're never been there? Make sense? I don't even know if they're correctly using GPS geodata to make sense of it all.

Although I do get a kick when I upload a photo and it immediately becomes the cover photo, which is humbling in my photographic eye. For some, your photo might be the catalyst of a sleeping giant, for three months it would only accrue 800 or so views, and then two weeks after it'll have 10,000. 

Level 8

From my user's point of view, I expect the Profile Photo can assure me that I arrived at the correct location - this is the shop I am looking for.

Thus Store Fronts, Reception Desk can help a lot in this consideration.

Level 8

I agree that it should assure me that I arrived at the correct location, but how it is determined is poorly managed now.. It would be great to allow GTPs to designate which one is most appropriate. I did delete the photo of the work bench and low and behold the next one up is of the repair shop, not the sales shop. Visitors rarely get to go downstairs to the shop, so there is no way this photo would assure them they are at the right place. At least this one has some electric bikes in it. Take a look for Seattle E-Bike at 220 S Jackson St, Seattle, WA 98104

Level 10

The cover photos would be amazing if they were accurate. You would think that the system would determine the best photo for such. Receptions, the actual building, or something relevant would be much useful, but lately for shopping centres, people are just uploading photos of junk in front of their house and the system flocks to these travesties. Like the Woodcroft Village Shopping Centre as I've posted previously.

How does the algorithm decide that the front of this house should represent the shopping centre, it's not even relevant or even of suitable quality to be the cover photo in the first place?! Now I must wait for the irrelevant photo to be taken down. The system also did this for the Seven Hills Plaza, with a picture of a little girl in front of her house, and not the shopping centre. Precautions and review needs to be undertaken.