WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: What is staple food of your country?

Level 10

@HelloSamsonRhahaha I now have an identity here on connect, you can call me "that food dude"

Level 10

@deepakjhicYummy, i will come to India soon

@deepakjhic wrote:

Hello my dear @WaweruM .

Chapati and Rice are staple foods of India. Staple food is defined as the main food. Other foods may accompany the staple foods. In India, the accompaniments are: dairy products, legumes, vegetables, and meats. Accompaniments revolve around the staples of cooked rice, or Roti.

RiceRiceIndian ChapatiIndian Chapati 

In North India (Punjab, Uttarkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Chandigarh, Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana, and Rajasthan), they mainly consume wheat Roti along with accompaniments. The poor of India may have Roti just with ground onions garlic and hot chili peppers. The Roti is a flat un-leavened bread made on stove-top over a hot iron griddle (Tawa). The flour for Roti may be made by grinding wheat, Millet (Bajra, Jowar), corn etcetera. Wheat is the largest crop of North India and Kashmir.

In East India (West Bengal, Orissa), North eastern states (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Nagaland, Manipur, Tripura), and South Indian States (Tamil Naidu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka) the staple is cooked Rice. Rice may be piled up in the center of a platter and served with accompaniments. Rice is the largest crop in South India and East India.

In Gujarat, they eat Roti as well as Rice.

Happy Mapping 

Level 9

@WaweruM forgot to mention Githeri a staple lunch time dish. 

Here it isGitheriGitheri

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Level 10

@WaweruM bro, Sorry I didn't get what 'staple' means but the rice and bread are most common foods here as lunch or dinner. Our lunch time varies in comparison to western society. I have borrowed @deepakjhic's photos to display rice and bread. 🙂

Level 8

Well written article

@deepakjhic wrote:

Hello my dear @WaweruM .

Chapati and Rice are staple foods of India. Staple food is defined as the main food. Other foods may accompany the staple foods. In India, the accompaniments are: dairy products, legumes, vegetables, and meats. Accompaniments revolve around the staples of cooked rice, or Roti.

In North India (Punjab, Uttarkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Chandigarh, Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana, and Rajasthan), they mainly consume wheat Roti along with accompaniments. The poor of India may have Roti just with ground onions garlic and hot chili peppers. The Roti is a flat un-leavened bread made on stove-top over a hot iron griddle (Tawa). The flour for Roti may be made by grinding wheat, Millet (Bajra, Jowar), corn etcetera. Wheat is the largest crop of North India and Kashmir.

In East India (West Bengal, Orissa), North eastern states (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Nagaland, Manipur, Tripura), and South Indian States (Tamil Naidu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka) the staple is cooked Rice. Rice may be piled up in the center of a platter and served with accompaniments. Rice is the largest crop in South India and East India.

In Gujarat, they eat Roti as well as Rice.

Happy Mapping 

Level 8

My grandmother was Mexican, and I grew up in El Paso, Texas, on the US-Mexico border, so the staples growing up were white corn, pinto beans, and Mexican rice (cooked with tomatoes and such).

I live in Minnesota, now. It's not technically a "staple", but the signature dish here is Tater Tot Hot dish. It's made with cooked, ground hamburger meat beneath canned green beans and canned mushroom soup. Then a layer of tater tots (bite-sized frozen hash-browned potatoes) goes on top and it goes in the oven for an hour.

Minnesota Tater Tot Hot DishMinnesota Tater Tot Hot Dish

Egg bake is similar. You basically put whatever you want in the bottom of a casserole dish, fill it up with beaten eggs, add a little milk or sour cream, and bake it for 30-45 minutes. It's basically a quiche without a crust, or like a baked omelette. For the one below I just threw together ham, frozen hashbrowns, a bag of "California medley" vegetables, and it came out great:

Vegetable medley egg bake.Vegetable medley egg bake.The key to Minnesota cooking seems to be "keep it cheap" and "bake it"! Signature Minnesota dishes also need to travel relatively well -- like to a bake sale or a church potluck dinner. (You won't find a souffle within a thousand miles of here.)

Unfortunately there is an awful lot of very highly processed food in Minnesota home cooking. A lot of salt, a lot of sugar, and a lot of fat. (Minnesotans are among the fattest people in the US.) So, in a way, "meat and potatoes" are the staple foods, here. Welcome to our throwaway consumerist culture of self-indulgence. This is what we're living on, and it is literally killing us. It's nowhere near as healthy as the truly simple things I grew up on. And while I have adapted to my surroundings, I still really miss having real Mexican food to live on every single day.

Level 10

India being a vast country, there is more than one staple food (Rice, wheat etc) in India

@WaweruM

@xeltifon

@RAJESHKADYAN

@BishowvijayaP

@JonasKL

Level 10

@ProfArunCMyou dont have one that most people love

Level 10

@BishowvijayaPthats what stapple food is 🙂

@BishowvijayaP wrote:

@WaweruM bro, Sorry I didn't get what 'staple' means but the rice and bread are most common foods here as lunch or dinner. Our lunch time varies in comparison to western society. I have borrowed @deepakjhic's photos to display rice and bread. 🙂