questkv's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What Local Guides program mean to me.

Unique places we have visitedUnique places we have visited

The local guides program has helped me share with the community in various ways since I joined the program. It has made me more objective with sharing experience of places I have visited on maps with the knowledge that the information I share is essential to the people using google maps around the globe. It has made me write honest reviews and rating places I have been in which others may like to visit and make them make an informed decision on their plans. I get to answer the questions asked on maps to the best of my knowledge and share tips knowing that it goes a long way to helping the community at large.

Unique geo walks we have attended as a community.Unique geo walks we have attended as a community.

Through the Local guide program, I can discover new places and visit them, which otherwise I would never have visited. I have found places which have turned out to be my favourite go-to places over the weekends. I have discovered other enthusiastic local guides who have turn out to be great friends and ended up creating and attending meetups and geo walks across the country. I have joined Local guide communities groups on social media and local WhatsApp groups, which help us share challenges and solve emerging problems.  Thanks to the Local guide program, I have volunteered to the Google for Kenya 2018 and 2019 in which I was able to share my vast experience with fellow Kenyans at the Local guides and Maps booth with lots of pride.

Fellow Local guides at the Google for Kenya in Nairobi 2019Fellow Local guides at the Google for Kenya in Nairobi 2019

I'm passionate about taking photos and making videos. My photography skills have highly improved due to active contribution in maps. The images I have been sharing on the maps over the years have made me take better food and architectural pictures.

Architectural PhotosArchitectural PhotosFood photos of various RestaurantsFood photos of various RestaurantsProducts at curio shopProducts at curio shopFlowers at Egerton Botanic GardenFlowers at Egerton Botanic GardenVases at a vendor in Section 58 NakuruVases at a vendor in Section 58 NakuruDusk photos from Hyrax MuseumDusk photos from Hyrax MuseumLong exposure photos .Long exposure photos .

With the monthly mailing to my inbox, I can track the impact I'm creating in my community which motivates me, even more, to go out there and contribute on maps. Apart from enjoying the great outdoors, it gives me a sense of fulfilment knowing that what I share is helping a lot of people out there.

Nakuru, Kenya
2 comments
Level 6

Re: What Local Guides program mean to me.

@questkv these photos are amazing! All the best with your application! 

Level 8

Re: What Local Guides program mean to me.

@Vuve You are far too kind, thank you so much. I hope you applied also and I wish you all the best.