Svein's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

@LucioV No, I am using the default camera app on my Pixel XL. With it's great image processing capability (and HDR+) the pictures turn out similar or better than me putting in a lot of effort processing RAW files from 3rd party camera apps.

Level 7

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

Hi @Svein and @LucioV and everyone

Svein I am glad you say you are using the camera on your phone! I have a different Android phone, which I carry with me faithfully. I have been accustomed to seeing a nice photo opportunity (mostly with people I know) and taking a picture, without giving much thought to framing or steady handling of the phone to prevent blurriness.

But after seeing many of the photos taken here (with camera phones no less) I am becoming more conscious of such things. 

I chuckled when I read that you make use of the HDR. I had forgotten to check my camera--it has a PRO feature which I am assuming is HDR. But elements of that PRO mode include ISO AUto, WB Auto, Metering, and a few other things that I think I need to practice with.

Level 5

@Zeds wrote:

Hi LucioV,

Since I started posting heaps of photos and reviews a few months back I have had many competitive encounters with other local guides....an lg war as you call it.I usually win because of my methodology....most local guides post one or maybe 2 or 3 photos per business but I use what I call the blitzkrieg method.If it is an appropriate business then I take anywhere from 10 to 50 photos inside and outside.One of those is usually good enough to knock off the headline Google maps photo and if it's not I go back and take more until I get the result I want.At the end of the day it is up to Google which photo becomes the main one but if you are smart and take note of what criteria they are looking for then you should come out on top. 

I'm curious, what do you get out of "winning" as you describe? Is it just the satisfaction of knowing it's your photo that Google shows?

I wish Google would give a little bit of attribution to users. Maybe improve how someone can see a user's other contributions (right now the infinite scroll and not showing many on the map are not very useful). Maybe allow users to post a little text info about themselves in their profile, and a link to their own blog if they have one.

Level 10

@MikeK wrote:

@Zeds wrote:

Hi LucioV,

Since I started posting heaps of photos and reviews a few months back I have had many competitive encounters with other local guides....an lg war as you call it.I usually win because of my methodology....most local guides post one or maybe 2 or 3 photos per business but I use what I call the blitzkrieg method.If it is an appropriate business then I take anywhere from 10 to 50 photos inside and outside.One of those is usually good enough to knock off the headline Google maps photo and if it's not I go back and take more until I get the result I want.At the end of the day it is up to Google which photo becomes the main one but if you are smart and take note of what criteria they are looking for then you should come out on top. 

I'm curious, what do you get out of "winning" as you describe? Is it just the satisfaction of knowing it's your photo that Google shows?

I wish Google would give a little bit of attribution to users. Maybe improve how someone can see a user's other contributions (right now the infinite scroll and not showing many on the map are not very useful). Maybe allow users to post a little text info about themselves in their profile, and a link to their own blog if they have one.

You are right @HikingMike actually the WIN is for Google itself 🙂 We are all aware of this, i think. But i can understand the satisfaction @Zeds and @Svein are talking about.

Level 5

Hi MikeK,

Quite often when I am about take photos of a business that I haven't reviewed before I have a look at what photos are already on Google maps.Sometimes there are are some very good photos posted by a low level 5 lg who also has the headline shot.I then respond to the challenge to take over the headline or main photo.....it's a respect thing because if their headline shot is very good then I have to work hard getting a winning photo without trying to duplicate their photo.That would be a dumb thing to do.Of course on a lot of occasions particularly with small to medium size businesses such as clothes boutiques up to Trader Joe's grocery stores there maybe just a few photos posted on the whole site by level 2 or 3 lg's and the lead photo is pretty average.In these cases I take a bunch of good inside and outside photos so I can control the views for the business.For me there is no point doing it unless I have a very good chance of getting the headline shot because then I will get stacks of views of the other photos I have posted with my review.Of course things have changed lately because we can no longer see the total number of views of the headline photos of other local guides just the views for new photos posted by date.So that change has been it very hard to know just how entrenched that headline photo is on Google maps.Of course if you look at the date posted on the top left of the full size picture on your iMac then if it is an old date ..maybe a couple of years ago then it is either a very good photo or a poor photo there by default because there were only a few shots posted of the business.I am used to winning at a lot of things I have done in my life particularly career wise so winning has always been addictive to me...it beats coming 2nd that's for sure.

May the Google be with you.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Level 10

Level 4

thanks for sharing and good job. Clearly LA is most sunny place in the world. 

Level 4

Google Maps should grant more access to people like you. Like delete low quality pictures right way. 

Level 5

Hi SveinR,

Hope you are going well.I see that you have taken some pretty decent inside photos recently....that is a good thing!Try and do as many quality inside shots as you can and you will be surprised how many will become the main or headline photo on Google maps.Starbucks and small cafes/eateries are the best because you can get a bit of color and decor plus some people all in a condensed area. ..but you know that.And if you take 3 to 6 shots from different angles that are worth using you will find that users will look at all of them on Google maps........you multiple the potential views of your photos.I have been pretty busy myself lately trying to win the Le Tote contest for my wife by posting stacks of new reviews and photos.....alas I was not good enough to win but my wife is still enjoying Le Tote...getting new clothes sent to her regularly to try out.Maybe we will run into each other one day.Take care mate.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.47.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.46.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.46.33 AM.png

Level 1

Good morning, i'm new to this site but your story was the first one I read. Very impressive with all your photos and they are really clear and useful. My question is about earning points, what are the points good for. Also can you earn money with posting because basically its free advertising for the company. Seems fair to get paid for the work that you do

@ShafiulB wrote:

@Svein wow! What an experience... 

Thanks for your share.. 

We should Follow you & Your contribution....  

salute Bro......