Emmik20's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Welcome to South Sudan- the newest country in the world.

IMG_20200619_134727.jpgIMG_20200619_134727.jpg

Have ever dreamed of flying around the world for work? Fortunately, I have such a job and it is not always rosy as you might expect it to be. A times you felt like going to the frontline.

It was barely last week when I had an exciting flight to Istanbul, and was boarding an Ethiopian airline flight onward to Addis-Ababa . Now as I am writing it seems like a decade since I arrived here.

When we landed at Addis, we begin to separate into groups, there are those who are on transit and those arriving. For my group, we kept walking till we left the fancy area to a place I will aptly described as the backyard of the airport.

It is either you are UN or NGO staff and some in uniform of some kinds. I myself had changed my trainers to all a weather boot and put-up my work jacket.

There are few all for risk business men with us and who are mostly from Nigeria. It was as If I had a mark of identity over my forehead as they quickly recognized me as fellow Nigerian.

The mood is sober anyway, some are chatting over covid-19 and how it adversely affected them. Someone even walked to me and asked” My friend you don do covid-19 test”.” ‘’You get am with you’’.I was just replying , yes, yes.

We are still waiting for an aircraft to take us to Juba , the capital of South Sudan. With similar expectation, we all knew it would be Bombardier propeller aircraft, In this almost all male team. We boarded unceremoniously and the pilot wasted no time at bringing the engine to live. We cautiously approached the tarmac.

He would accelerate to maximum and the buzzing sound of the engine rents the air. We took off to the air and as expected the turbulence came, we were on roller coaster. I as a regular passenger on a prop aircraft, I knew there was nothing to fear. It’s all part of the wild adventure.

Many hours have passed since we took off, we soon start descending to Juba International Airport . Later, we landed peaceful into the waiting hands of health officers in biochemical suite. They did not hesitate to sprayed us excessively as if we have brought a new strain of Covid-19 into their country.

We were ushered into a commotion at the airport hall, albeit some improvement in organization. For those who knew Juba international, you will agree with me that things have changed in what used to be a tent on the tarmac airport.

I was received with a “smile” from my colleague.  Welcome to South Sudan, the newest country in the world. Later, I would understand the motive behind his smile as I was sent straight to quarantine for next 7 days. It was not a pleasant experience at all staying in a room for that long and only allow to do laundry on the ground floor and take few steps to the terrace for fresh air.

On the seventh day, I was sent to a medical center for covid test at a cost of $100. I almost shouted in annoyance at this outrageous price. The most expensive I ever done and probably the costliest in the world. The result came out negative. After the test, I was told next morning we would be flying to the north of the country.

And this time around we were lucky, our aircraft is Bombardier Dash 8-400J and it’s a fairly new one. I am quite happy because it is not the usual 20 years old aircraft of the past.

And after few hours in the air, we landed in Aweil , South Sudan. And It was like going back in time, not much development as taken place. Yet the place has a semblance of a city. There are power lines, rail tracks, university, state hospital etc.

Finally, I have reached my destination and will be working in a hospital, but not has doctor neither a nurse. I am happy, I am doing this kind of job and believe my efforts with that of others will help save thousand lives.

Aweil, South Sudan
16 comments
Level 9

Re: Welcome to South Sudan- the newest country in the world.

Dear @Emmik20

Hearing the name Newest City has created an added attraction to your post and looking at the photo I thought you might have captured the photo with a drone but after reading the post I realized you captured it from the plane. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful post with us. 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Connect Moderator

Nice experience, isn't it? Newest country in the world? This is new to me @Emmik20 

It surprised me that they just got independent recognized in 2011, a decade ago. Which part of country was it before?

Level 9

Hello @KamalHossenR  , thanks for the comment. South Sudan is catching up with rest of African countries in term of development. There are many stories to tell from here. As I travel around the country, I will have more interesting experience to share. 

I took the picture from Cessna Caravan 208  aircraft when landing at Juba. 

Level 9

Hello @Sophia_Cambodia  It is indeed a nice experience. Though it is wild but thrilling. South Sudan got independent in 2011 from Sudan and after a referendum. Since 2011 no other country has emerged, so South Sudan remains the newest country. 

Connect Moderator

Level 9

Thanks For Sharing @Emmik20 

Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless>

Connect Moderator

Hi @Emmik20 

I can understand the feeling. I travel around alot too but only around West Africa. 

Thanks for sharing about S.Sudan. what's the population and economy like? Don't think we have local guides from there have we? Try meet one or 2 before you leave and it will be worth it. Have a good stay.

Cheers

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 9

My friend! You can't  just allow my heart be beating anyhow! I read to the end! I know you are not a Military officer, last time you were a Map Analyst, or wait, are you a Military officer? No, you are not. So tell me what you will be doing at that hospital.

P.S. I never knew you had this writing style, it was like reading a Novel, I felt the turbulence and all, if I was with you, I would have had my BP checked after reading this post. 

I wish people recognized me so easily when I travel. Even within Nigeria, I get asked all sorts of questions...

I like  this post so much, I am going to nominate it! @Emmik20 

Oh I can't 😪 I don't  know your full name or know you outside Connect. Those are two of the questions on the form. Please send your full name to me for the form. Thanks

Level 9

Hi @SholaIB  good you understand the feeling. Atimes is exciting, atimes it is thrilling. Sometimes I asked my self why I am doing this kind of Job.

South Sudan just had a peace agreement after many years of war and many NGO came to support the government.  The country has population of 12million and export about 450K of crude oil daily. 

The country is growing rapidly but there is not much on ground at now. Everything is basic .Apart the capital the rest country look like Nigeria of 1980.