SoniaK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Weird city/ town names in the USA

Truth or Consequences, NMTruth or Consequences, NM

When I learned that Truth or Consequences is a city name in New Mexico, I started wondering if America was running out of names. So I started digging up a little and found out that there is also a small town in Michigan named Hell. Weird, isn’t it? That’s not it. They have a pretty long list of weird names. But nothing could really beat Why or Whynot. Oh, and Boring too. That’s right.Those are small towns names as well.  

I would find it really funny to tell people that I live in Ninety Six. People would probably give me a weird look if I told them that I was going to  Cut and Shoot. I might be caught for suspecting violence too. But that’s not my fault. It’s just the names of the towns that’s making me pun with it. If a Texan wants to be Canadian or a North Carolinian wants to Kill Devil Hills, you can’t really call them Coward. It’s fun to have such names. We just can’t make up our minds which one is Cool and which one is Cool-er.  

Sadly, I haven’t visited either of these cities or towns yet. One day I hope to visit them though, and when I do, I will also let you know why this place is called Satans Kingdom

Uncertain sounds like the beginning of a heartbreaking story. Frankenstein would not be so Peculiar or  Santa Claus would not Scratch Ankle if Chicken did not have an Accident. But as long as I get some Fries and Chili to fill me up, it’s all Okay, OK. 

Okay, OKOkay, OK

UPDATE: 

After getting a lot of responses, I was inspired to dig in more and found some more names that can be added to this post.

Normal, for example, is not too abnormal at all. Rough and Ready sounds like a Western movie set to me, that is Embarrass-ing. If Hot Coffee spills on Deadhorse, Nothing but only Camp Soda and Soda springs, known as ZzyZx might help to heal. If you have Nowhere to go, you can go to Volcano or see the Santa, you don't even have to go to North Pole for that. Friendship is all you need, not Money, if you don't want to get Hurt.  

55 comments
Level 10

Re: Weird city/ town names in the USA

@SoniaK LOL these are really weird names.. Thanks for sharing this.  To add to your list here are some hilarious town names:

Bat Cave, North Carolina
Booger Hole, West Virginia
Ding Dong, Texas
Hot Coffee, Mississippi
Intercourse, Pennsylvania (Formerly 'Cross Keys')
Monkey’s Eyebrow, Kentucky
Pee Pee, Ohio

Connect Moderator

Ha it's interesting that you mentioned Hell, Michigan @SoniaK ! I remember driving from West Lafayette, Indiana (where I went to school) to Detroit, Michigan and passed by the sign for this city. My friends and I kept making jokes "Welcome to hell!" "Hey should we stop and get some gas.... In hell?"

Good times 🙂

Connect Moderator

Reading this made me smile so much, @SoniaK - this is SO SO great! 😂😂😂 

You've enlightened me so to many I never knew 😂 I'll probably spend a lot of time on Maps looking for more, just panning across areas/regions. 

Funny enough, I actually came across this gem, not too far from Miami 😁.

Screenshot_20210206-002900.png

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 10

@SoniaK @it's really amazing that these weird names really exist in USA sounds also weird I have read all the the post and surprised again and again and really want to know the history behind why these names are kept and @jayasimha78 you also help a lot to keep this list complete

MUHAMMAD USMAN Facebook
Who am I
Level 10

That's hilarious @SoniaK !

Imagine them answering the question from someone where they are living. 😅

Connect Moderator

These are always cool @SoniaK to find these gems on Maps - here are a few from Australia

A town called Banana which is in no way related to Mt Buggery we seem to be on an unfortunate theme with Come By Chance but perhaps they said no because of Mt Unapproachable or they needed to see a doctor afterwards because of Cockburn but this line is way to Grim so lets move on.

How about a journey around Useless Loop?

The USA has a place called Nowhere but we've got Nowhere Else.

And perhaps there's something tasty at Cream Puff Corner? or if you want something more savoury what about Sausage Gully?

No idea what the person who named Titwobble was thinking but maybe they witnessed an earthquake at The Boobs or Mount Breast?

And how about Bong Bong? And not to be out done there is Bing Bong and of course Ding-A-Ding

Not to be left out there it is certainly a country full of knobs with Yorkeys Knob, Two Mile Knob, Iron Knob, Scrubby Knob, Bald Knob and of course The Knob to end them all.

While there are so many more I'll leave you with my favourite gem we actually have a place named North Pole and who wouldn't want to live on Quality Street?

So, the question is could we write an entire post made of nothing but links to funny places on Maps?

Paul

Google Moderator

I laughed so hard at this compilation, @SoniaK😂 And @jayasimha78's, @SP31's, and @PaulPavlinovich's examples add so much to the fun!

It's mostly villages, not towns, that bear unusual names in Bulgaria, like Witch and A Bag of Lies, and a variety of body parts. But nothing beats Whynot for me. 😆 

By the way, are the images you've used royalty-free or shared with permission, as we advise in the original content guidelines? And I appreciate you giving credit for them!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovich omg, that was impressive! 😂😂😂

@DeniGu I am laughing so much at A Bag of Lies 😂. Glad to see that BG is not exempt from having it's own share of unusual names 😁.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Connect Moderator

Hahahaha....thank you guys for helping me complete the list. @jayasimha78 your list is amazing, I have to look for these cities on maps. Thanks for helping me adding to the list.

@iyudhi I was wondering the same too when I heard about Hell. What do the people living there say where they live, "I live in Hell"? That will be really hilarious. 

Smallpox is a place's name, @SP31 ? That's funny too. I wonder if there's any story behind this name. 

@Muhammad_Usman , this list is still incomplete. There are so many places like these in the USA with so many crazy names that someone has to do really good research to compile all the names in one list.

Hahahaha..... I was wondering the same @Stphn ..... Hi, I am Sonia, I am from Hell, or, Hey, would you like to go to Why? Whynot? 

@PaulPavlinovich , your list is even funnier. Can't believe these places actually exist. I'm sure they all have stories behind their names. But really, I am with you when you said "No idea what the person who named Titwobble was thinking but maybe they witnessed an earthquake at The Boobs or Mount Breast?" I like your idea about writing an entire post on places like these on maps and writing nothing. Do you think people will ACTUALLY take the trouble to click on all these places to explore the facts? 

@DeniGu Witch and A Bag of Lies are real names? Do people actually live there? So, Veshtisa is a word for Witch in Bulgarian language? That's wonderful to know. As for the pictures, I collected those from Google search. I saw the same pictures were used in different sites. I used the site names where I collected it from at the bottom of my post. However, I am not sure if these are royalty free or not. If they are against the guidelines I will be happy to delete those from my post. The idea was to tell the tale or funny names, not to use others' photo without due permission. Thank you for the heads up. Please let me know if I should delete the photos from the post.