avarii's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Visual Guide to Culebra, PR and Flamenco Beach

I went to Flamenco Beach at 5 am to beat the crowd and see for myself if this truly was one of the best beaches in the world. And I must say, it did not disappoint.I went to Flamenco Beach at 5 am to beat the crowd and see for myself if this truly was one of the best beaches in the world. And I must say, it did not disappoint.
In the 20th century, the U.S. military would practice storming beaches on the shores of this island. While the military is no longer there, its presence can certainly still be witnessed along Flamenco's shores.In the 20th century, the U.S. military would practice storming beaches on the shores of this island. While the military is no longer there, its presence can certainly still be witnessed along Flamenco's shores.I went at 5 am to Flamenco so with the rising sun, the sand appeared more yellow than it really is. Visit it mid-day and you will be treated to bright white sand.I went at 5 am to Flamenco so with the rising sun, the sand appeared more yellow than it really is. Visit it mid-day and you will be treated to bright white sand.red white blue tank.jpg

Flamenco Beach, Flamenco, Culebra, Puerto Rico
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Visual Guide to Culebra, PR and Flamenco Beach

Hi @avarii

Your photos look like a paradise place! Do you live there? Could you tell me more about this place? I've never traveled so far, but now I really want to go there. Is it easy to get there? 

Check out these tips: here.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 1

It's even more beautiful mid-day when the sun reflects off the sand and it's white and the water is even clearer! Sadly our plane left at noon so I didn't have time to take photos of it when the sand was white.

Culebra is one of the small islands off the coast of Puerto Rico and its beach Flamenco Beach is rated among one of the most beautiful in the world. The waters are crystal clear and very calm, and if you go further out into the water, there is a coral reef with tons of colorful fish and if you're lucky, manatees and sea turtles. This island was hit the worst by Hurricane Maria back in 2017 and still doesn't have electricity however it hasn't affected things too much as a lot of people there use alternative energy. In my case though, I had a bad case of salmonella and the pharmacy there couldn't process my subscription because there still was no electricity/internet so I had to take a ferry back to the mainland to get my medicine. The island itself is not as green and lush as it used to be because of the hurricane but the waters and reefs are still very much clear and vibrant so it's still 100% worth the visit. 

I have family that lives on the mainland of Puerto Rico, so going to this island is either a short 25 min. voyage by sea plane (expensive but SO worth it) or about an hour/hour and a half by ferry. However, I recommend to most people visiting to take the plane as it leaves right from the capital city of San Juan. Otherwise the ferry is about an hour away and only runs twice a day and often gets cancelled since the hurricane. Don't let that deter you from visiting however! Puerto Rico is still absolutely gorgeous and a very affordable trip!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @avarii

I'm going to remove the Spanish language tag from your post as it is in English. Only posts written in a specific language should have the corresponding label. You can find more information in this article How do I find posts in my preferred language?.

Please also bear in mind that you can edit your post from the three dots button in the upper right corner and add all the information from your comment in the main post. If you find any difficulties how to do it, you can check the article Edit your post - Why and How To.

P.S.: If you would like to reply to someone in a post, you can type the @ symbol followed by the person's name. That is how the person will receive a notification and will be able to respond to you. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!