WilfriedB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Views of indivual Photos reduced drastically or show zero for new uploads

-> For ongoing updates on this issue, please see @MortenCopenhagen's comment below, as well es another interesting comment way down in thread <-

This morning I realized, my points were reduced and the views for my top three photos dropped overnight to a level as they were by the end of December 2023. Very likely the same happened to many, of not all of my pictures, but I don't have the exact numbers to compare. Strangely enough, the total number of views did increase and and the number of photos remained the same:

My Photos in Android app with (green) and without (red) date and view count.My Photos in Android app with (green) and without (red) date and view count.

Update as of Feb, 9:

In spite of my first assumption, the points and the total number of views did continue to increase normally (and as it seems correctly) during the previous two days

Update as of Feb. 19:

I continued to upload photo (although, I don't have many currently). For those, I uploaded from desk top this morning, I realized:

• With a shared link , I can see the pictures using a private (anonymous) browser session
  • Anonymous also does see the captions, I added with the Maps app under Android after uploading from the desktop
  • Total number of photos did increase accordingly
  • Number of points did not increase according to the number of new photos.
  • Total number of views did increase before uploading new photos compared to the number of yesterday. However, weeks ago (before the issue started), I noticed the total number of views is never updated twice a day, sometimes even less often. My numbers did increase on the 11., 13., 15., 17., 18. and 19. of February. I did see a reduction on Feb, 14, but very likely this was caused by myself by deleting duplicate photos.

Addition as of February 27, 2024:

Many local guides are asking "Why no official statement by Google?". Yesterday, @davisjanowski  did write some very good words way down in this long thread. To me, the essence can be summarized by this quote (click here to read the full comment->) So, to sum up, you would all be happier just accepting what Google Maps is and not questioning thing... .

Addition as of April 10, 2024:

An new statement from Google Administrator @Julie_A  includes:

"Over the next couple of days, you’ll notice that the view count graph has been restored in the Contribute tab on Google Maps, which means you should soon be able to see all of your photo and video views back in one place. We’re also happy to share that any of your photo or video views that were temporarily down, are back. "

and
"In the coming weeks, you may see a slower accumulation of views as we make some backend updates to how we capture media views. You may have also noticed that it’s taking several days to see a view count on newly uploaded photos or videos. Rest assured views are still being counted as we resolve the lag with displaying new media views."

See also the next comment here for a more recent Status for the photo view counter issue.

Willfried
My Contributions
1,340 comments

Accepted Solutions
Google Administrator
Solution

Re: Views of indivual Photos reduced drastically or show zero for new uploads

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for weighing in to raise the issues impacting the media view count and the view count graph. As previous posts noted, our relevant teams are aware, and actively working on addressing these issues.

We realize this has caused some frustration, but appreciate your patience until the functionalities are working as intended again. We are also grateful to our moderators for keeping the community feedback organized in this thread. 

Thank you!

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Re: Overnight Points, Views of indivual Photos reduced drastically while total views increased

UPDATES

The Maps engineering team has found a bug affecting the counting of photo views. They are actively working on fixing this. The Photo views graph has been removed until the fix is implemented.

As of February 15th a few users have reported that photo views have started increasing again after the Maps app was updated yesterday. I got the new version but the individual counters and total photo views are still stuck and the photo views graph is still missing.

As the fix started rolling out we can expect to see the view numbers fluctuate as discussed here.

Update Feb 20th: Obviously, we are still waiting for the fix. Today 2 users reported that individual view counters for older photos started moving sporadically again. As it is currently not possible to delete photos with zero views in the app, please know that it is still possible using a computer. 

Update Feb 22nd: This morning two moderators confirmed that the day of posting, the delete icon, and some view counts showed up for recently added photos on mobile. View counts for older photos still stuck or inaccurate.

Update February 29:

I'm pleased to report that most of my individual photo counters for photos posted 3 or 4 days ago are now visible and moving again. There are still issues but this is a very positive development. And I think views have been counted during the temporary glitz rather than lost.

Update March 4th:

Our college @makoshark found the following statement on a Google Maps Help page:

Screenshot 2024-03-04 14.26.18.png

The statement looks like the official statement we have been asking for repeatedly. Unfortunately, the underlying announcement from Google only pertains to Google Streetview Trusted Photographers.  If you go to the page and tap "Read more" only trusted photographers will be able to read the more detailed statement from Google. They explained that all views will be restored except those from two days. No timeline is mentioned

Update March 5th A

Julie from the LG team just posted a statement which is now marked as the answer to make it appears a the top of this very long thread.

Update March 5th B

This morning many - not all - individual photo view counters started moving again. Fingers crossed it keeps picking up speed and will reach all users.

UPDATE March 6th

More and more users report significant improvements.  Here is one such example from @StephanFink. There are still issues though. 

Update March 7th

I see more and more reports that things are getting back to normal. It seems that the initial few (automatic?) views on all new photos are gone. Which is okay. The photo views graph is still missing. And the improvements need time to roll out and reach all of us. Hopefully, the next update will be the last 😉

Update March 11th

This morning all my photos show some views. Even those posted 4 days ago.  But the photo views graph is still missing in action.

Update March 21st

Today we received this reassurance:

Discussions and work on this is ongoing, and all the feedback is regularly being shared internally.

We completely understand that it's frustrating not being able to respond to reports about this on Connect and potentially other platforms, but rest assured that this is a top priority for the teams. 

Update April 10th

Finally some good news.  Please see this announcement from Julie:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/View-Count-Graph-Restored/m-p/3739698

The view graph is not yet visible in my Android Maps App.  

Update April 18th

Today I shared this status way down in this long thread. 

I will continue updating this text if necessary. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Morten 

Level 9

Re: Overnight Points, Views of indivual Photos reduced drastically while total views increased

@MortenCopenhagen  reg.: "... his individual photos have 0 views this morning!": Two photos, I uploaded yesterday, also show zero views, while those from days before do have some values, but I don't know how correct they are.

I am also confident, it will be solved soon,  but someone needs to report it 😉

Update as of Feb, 8 in the morning (CET):

Unlike @JustJack's obeservation in the other thread, I see* the same situation as yesterday: 

• My top three photos show the number of views as of the end December 2023
  • Two uploaded pictures on Feb, 6 still show zero views (they had 13 immediately after posting) and the same is true for photos posted today.
  • Randomly comparing other photos with a takeout dated Jan, 24 shows some have more, other less views now - seems like a chance of fifty/fifty to me
  • The number of total views did not change, but it did increase(!) between Feb, 6 and Feb 7 and earlier.

* I mainly use Firefox under Windows 10. The views for the top three are the same on Chrome and the Google Maps Android App

Willfried
My Contributions
Connect Moderator

@WilfriedB 

My guess is that one or more if the media servers got issues. 

Here is a copy of Torbens report

1000017561.png

@AngieYC would you please check if this is a known issue?

Cheers

Morten 

Level 8

Photo view count on Google maps seems screwed

Hello everyone,

My total picture view count is unaffected (remaining at 14.2M) by this strange behavior, but many of my pictures have 'lost' views.

So one picture is down from > 500k to 485k, another one down from >400k to 386k and so on (of course I don't remember exact values as of yesterday).

Anyone else noticed this too? Just yet another weird bug which will sort out in a couple of days?

KR&TIA ... Wolfi

Level 8

Re: Photo view count on Google maps seems screwed

It's getting weirder yet 🤣

In the meantime some pictures have returned to their original (higher) view count, whereas others have not.

I also noticed that the view count on the pictures which have 'lost' views, appears to be stuck.

It means: When I reload a popular picture an hour later or so, normally the view count has notably increased.

This isn't the case with pics affected by this bug.

KR ... Wolfi 😲

Connect Moderator

Re: Photo view count on Google maps seems screwed

Hi @fuzzi_68 

Similar issue is reported here:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Overnight-Points-Views-of-indivual-Photos-r...

Sometimes a single or a few servers get confused.  

Cheers

Morten 

Google Vendor

Hi @WilfriedB,

Thank you for reaching out. We have forwarded the information you shared with us with the relevant team so they can have a look at this.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

@nigelfreeney is also reporting the issue

I added v

Comment here

HHow about you @TerryPG

Alfred New
TRAC Badge
Level 9

Drastic and unaccounted drop in views of recent photos on Maps

Hello,

I'm a local guide level 9 on Google maps and for several years I've been helping to make information real and existing for Google Maps users.

For a few days now, the views of my photos have been blocked and the view counter for the latest photos doesn't even appear.

Would it be possible to help me what's causing this?

Thank you and best regards.

Check and follow me as Local Guide on Google Maps
I'm a Local Guide because I love #help #share #discover #travel

I'm from Lausanne, Switzerland and live in Vevey, Switzerland
Other content here : Application video 2020 | My Connect Live 2019 experience| christophesubilia.com | Instagram

#frenchlocalguides