plavarda's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Valentine's Day: Sardinia between archeology and orchids. Nora how much history!

Photo 1: the Roman theater still used today with 1000 seats

In our mini orchidological journey, combined with Valentine's Day, we set out to discover the interior of Sardinia, places where, in this season, nature reigns supreme. From Capoterra we took an unpaved road that runs through the interior of a protected area. Streams that flow from various parts along the central valley and from the side valleys. A large artificial lake, cork oak woods, but a single orchid sighted and photographed climbing me to the rock.

Photo 2 The interior of southern Sardinia

Photo 3: Following SP 1 road we found an artificial lake.l

Photo 4: cork oak

It was not yet fully open and the photo came a "roughly".

Photo 5: An Orchids: Ophrys exaltata?

At the top of the hill, we thought about the possibility of seeing Bonelli's eagle again, as 4 years ago but, unfortunately it was not so, indeed we were informed that, some time ago, a killed one had been found, we trembled at the thought that it could be the same, as if it were family!

Photo 6: SP1 road is a very adventurous unpaved road to be in Italy

Continuing, after 23 km, we recover the asphalt road in an area full of forest barracks and at the edge of the road, we find another type of orchid with extraordinary colors.

Photo 7: An Orchids. Anacamptis longicornu

We go down towards the sea and on the sandbanks, we find another type of orchid and many pink flamingos in the nearby lagoon.

Photo 8: An Orchids:. Ophrys iricolor subsp. eleonorae

Photo 9: Pink Flamingo in the Porto Pino pond

On the way back, along the roadside, the fourth type of orchid. Among the favorite places of orchids there is certainly the edge of the roads and that is why they should never be chemically weed but, only mowed.

Photo 10: An Orchids .Ophrys incubacea

Having understood that orchids were in their infancy and that the ones we had found could have satisfied our desire, the following day we decided to dedicate to discovering a little of the ancient side of Sardinia. Wake up early to resume dawn, but the moon is still above me.

Sunrise from Capoterra beach on February 14, 2020

Photo 11: Fishermen at dawn

We moved a little from where we were beautifully lodged, and headed towards Nora.

Photo 12: Nora beach with the tower of San Macario in the homonymous island

This ancient settlement has a documented history of 3000 years. The first were the Phoenicians who placed there a base and landing point for their ships, in order to be able to better trade with the populations of the interior. Later the Carthaginians arrived, and built a city that was, following the Punic wars, conquered by the Romans.

Photo 13: Nora. The roman Foro.

The Romans kept practically nothing of the ancient Carthaginian city but, they built them over their city, with the civil and religious systems that we find in all the ancient Roman cities: forum, temples, theater, baths and so on.

Photo 14: Nora. Patrician villa

Photo 15: Mosaic with geometric motifs typical of the southern Mediterranean areas (Tunisia)

In its maximum splendor, Nora reached 5,000 inhabitants. It was a highly strategic point, in fact it was possible to enter and exit the port with any wind, having the promontory, 3 bays exposed in a different way.

Photo 16: One of Nora's three bays

Here, in 1773, inside a dry stone wall, a stele was found where the Phoenician word “SRDN” was clearly engraved, the first document in which the word Sardinia appears.

Photo 17: Our Valentine's Day. Sea and sky in the background

We are about to return but, right on the edge of the last roundabout near the airport, the fifth orchid is waiting for us: the car rental can wait a bit!

Photo 18: An Orchids. Barlia robertiana

Nora, CA, Italia
6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Valentine's Day: Sardinia between archeology and orchids. Nora how much history!

Beautiful photos as always @plavarda thanks for sharing about them.

I especially love photos of flowers and that you sat on the bench - it looks more like you two are from space.

Level 9

Re: Valentine's Day: Sardinia between archeology and orchids. Nora how much history!

Ciao @Sophia_Cambodia keeping the camera low I got this spatial effect, I really like this photo, it also expresses my happiness and that of @mariacristinafossa .

A kiss.

Paolo

Level 7

Thank you for giving an amazing tour!! 

Level 10

Wow...

Appreciate your photography!!

Dear friend.... @plavarda 

For me reading your post is simple...

But,

Enjoying your photos...it holds me tightly...

Great shots...

Like photo 10 & 18...it becomes difficult to take the eyes away.

A special hug to you, my dear.

Thanks for sharing...

Lovely post...

🙌🙌🙌

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 9

Grazie ! Grazie !Grazie !  Thank You!Thank You!Thank You! dearest @TravellerG 

Level 10

Dear friend...

We understand... Grazie = Thanks...

Thanks for your kind response...

🙌

@plavarda 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me