Lostef2's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

User name and privacity

Dear all,

I am happy to be part of the local guide community and i am willing to contribute with usefull comments.

But i don't agree my full name and gmail profile picture appears on my comments.

For privacy reasons i don't want people i know (friends, colleagues, clients, etc) to be able to follow all the place i visited.

Also to be able to write honest feedback i need to be able to hide my name to avoid issues with hotels for example who have my passport copy, credit card details, etc. 

I would like to use my nickname instead. How should i proceed?

12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: User name and privacity

1. In review/google map if you want to change your name visit to the link mention below, 

https://aboutme.google.com

2. If you want to change your user name here on connect visit here, 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile

3. For changing photo visit Google Plus. In right side click on three lines and find profile. 

b. Now you'll be on your Google Plus profile, click on edit profile. Edit your pictures and enjoy. 

Hope it help. 

@Lostef2

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.

View solution in original post

Level 9
Solution

1. In review/google map if you want to change your name visit to the link mention below, 

https://aboutme.google.com

2. If you want to change your user name here on connect visit here, 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile

3. For changing photo visit Google Plus. In right side click on three lines and find profile. 

b. Now you'll be on your Google Plus profile, click on edit profile. Edit your pictures and enjoy. 

Hope it help. 

@Lostef2

Level 3

Thanks for your Feedback.

I changed my Name and it worked... but it did affect my gmail account.

I want to make sure my full Name appears fully when people receive emails from me... (not a nickname).

Any idea how to do that ?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

Level 9

@Lostef2 wrote:

Thanks for your Feedback.

I changed my Name and it worked... but it did affect my gmail account.

I want to make sure my full Name appears fully when people receive emails from me... (not a nickname).

Any idea how to do that ?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

Hi @Lostef2

Thank you for writing back. 

Yes if you'll change your name on accounts.google.com this will also affect your name everywhere you use account. But if you'll change your name here on connect this will only applicable here.

Level 3

Understood, thanks for your feedback.

I am actually trying to get my name to appear normally on gmail but as a nickname on gmap, when i write a comment as local guide.

Any chance to do that ?

Level 9

Hi @Lostef2

As I already mentioned changing name by following that link will affect your username in every google product. It means your can not use different name in gmail and google map. 

Kind Regards 

Connect Moderator

Hi @Lostef2 the only way you can achieve what you want is to use two separate Google accounts, one for gmail and one for Maps/Local Guides.

It isn't possible to transfer points and badges between accounts so you either need to start again with gmail or start again with Local Guides. I would recommend that you do use your real name, I look at nickname accounts and tend to ignore them because they've got something to hide.

Regards Paul

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich Having multiple accounts violates section 15 of the Local Guides Connect Content Policy https://maps.google.com/localguides/rules

Level 3

Noted.

My point is that it somehow don't respect privacy rules.

I don't want my gmail contacts to be all able to see where i dine and where i stay when i go for holidays.

I wish i could to help the community putting real and relevant feedbacks but without my network being able to track every place i go to... 

Do you understand my point ? 

Also imagine i book an hotel using my email address, then i put a bad comment which appears with the same account...

Not sure what could happen as the hotel has my credit card details, passport copy, etc. 

Thanks

Laura

Level 10

I get what you're saying @Lostef2

Other examples of a person not wanting to use their real name might be a gay person who is still in the closet not wanting to review a gay bar out of fear his friends and family will find the review.

Or someone who has a stalker, not wanting the stalker to know places they regularly visit.

Or someone with a religious family reviewing places that go against their religion in some way.

Wanting privacy doesn't automatically mean a person is doing bad stuff.