TiffanyStockstill's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Updating Your Google Maps App on iPhone IOS

Hi Local Guides, If your using Google Maps App or Google Apps in general on an iPhone (IOS) you may need to force update your Google Product Apps and Maps to experience new features or bug fixes. I noticed that Google seems to be the only brand of apps installed on my device not automatically updating or showing that it needs an update in my app store list.  I open my App Store> Click my profile circle at the top right screen> from here Apple will show you which Apps need to be updated if the Apps installed did not send a Notification or Update automatically. If your in low power battery mode, apps will not auto update. You see a list of apps that need updates. Google's maps and other products like Gmail, Drive, Photos, etc. appear updated but they aren't. You will need to click on each individual one to see that it needs an update and update from there. 

2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Updating Your Google Maps App on iPhone IOS

For me it's mostly random. Most of the time the apps updated automatically (I have the automatic update setting turned on) but found out a few days ago that Google Maps app didn't update. From what I gather is that the automatic update won't happen right away after the update is released (just checked and the latest update is one week old), so may have to force it to get it quicker.

Level 7

Re: Updating Your Google Maps App on iPhone IOS

It's also worth checking if you are using the last version of the app store and also the play store. I e.g. am using a smartphone running android 11 and I regularly check if I'm using the last version of the play store. You do this as follows: go to play store, search for profile picture or a circle with the first letter of your name in it, click on that circle, search for "settings" in settings you use the section "about" and click on "play store update" or something like that. If you use the most recent version you will see a message that the play store is up-to-date. If not, you'll see a message that a new version of the play store will be downloaded. Click "okay" and then close play store and all running apps and leave your smartphone alone for +-10 minutes. Repeat the steps above after this 10 minutes of wait and if the play store is up-to-date, you can check for app updates  again.

I suppose the steps for an iphone are nearly the same?

Check also if you are running the most recent version of the "google play services" app: go to the general settings app of smartphone > apps and notifications > all apps > google play services: click on "advanced and check for updates. If you are all set,  you for sure can also check "google play system updates": settings > security : "google play system updates". By doing this regularly, you are sure you are running the most recent versions of all these apps for your smartphone. Hope this helps.

If you want to help me in making Google services more accessible and more inclusive, you can also contribute to #GoogleCrowdsource https://crowdsource.google.com

Thanks in advance for your help.