JohnPeter's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Turtle Walk - Olive Ridley

Hi friends, 

Being a Local Guide helped me to actively involve in social activities like cleanup campaigns, tree plantation and now turtle patrolling. I thank @ermest @@IlankovanT and others for inspiring me to safeguard nature and eco systemOlive Ridley turtles' tender eggs holding in my handsOlive Ridley turtles' tender eggs holding in my hands

I have attended Turtle walk organized by SSTCN group and forest department,  they have been preserving the Olive Ridley Turtles eggs by moving them to a safer area and ensure the maximum hatchery.  Even the tourist, sociologist, nature lovers can join these events from January to April.

The meetup was started by 11.15pm at Nelankarai beach, Chennai with the introduction and instruction. Then by 1.15am, we have started our turtle walk for nearly 7km for 6 hours walk. Unfortunately, we could not see any nest but we could see one dead turtle and other sea creatures. We found dead Sea creaturesWe found dead Sea creatures

We have found a dead female olive ridley turtleWe have found a dead female olive ridley turtle

Luckily, another group found a nest with 123 eggs and we got the privilege to see the tender eggs also few newborns.  Had a great feel of satisfaction. 123 Olive Ridley sea turtle eggs collected and will be shitted to a safer place123 Olive Ridley sea turtle eggs collected and will be shitted to a safer place

Interesting characteristics of turtles:  first they are Eco-friendly, Endangered species,  following these practice for more than 100 million years.  Another very interesting part is  Olive Ridley sea turtles comes to the same beach where they have born to lay their eggs.  

Very interesting to learn about turtles and need for safeguard them. I invite all local guides and tourists to experience the same.  We found just hatched Olive Ridley sea turtle babiesWe found just hatched Olive Ridley sea turtle babies

"Live and let others live"

Thanks, 

John Peter 

11 comments
Level 8

Re: Turtle Walk - Olive Ridley

How so exciting it must be! @JohnPeter

Connect Moderator

Level 10

Wow.. Really interesting and unique walk! Sure, you should have enjoyed a lot of, dear @JohnPeter .. 

When are these walks conducted? Any fixed dates & time? Or any week day? (months, you have explained - Jan to April).

Is this area open to public or permissions are needed ? 

Thanks for your excellent contribution! 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this interesting posr and information @JohnPeter @

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Wonderful post @JohnPeter 

This is the first time saw the Turtle Eggs, really beautiful.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 10

Thanks dear @PaulPavlinovich for the useful information on moving turtle nests. I got very useful information. 

Here during our turtle walk,  we advice not to do anything. It's all done by experts. They walk before us and we need to keep 30meters distance so that the turtle tracks can be safeguarded. Also collecting eggs, moving to hatchery is also performed by them.  But visiting hatchery and seeing hatch is another meetup. Thanks I hope you are expert in turtle egg handling. We just had privilege to hold one turtle egg.  

Thanks dear @TravellerG,  in this meetup any public can join as volunteers but need to register well in advance.  Usuallywalksle walk open for public from January to April, every Friday from 11.15pm to 5-6am. But the peak days are from last two weeks of February and first two weeks of March.  If possible we can join next meet up. 

Thanks @NareshDarji  @ReemaGandhi 

Level 10

Dear @JohnPeter,

Thanks for your detailed reply; Will surely try to join you all, next time, God willingly.

Regs

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 9

Good job @JohnPeter. thank you for sharing this information with us 🙂

in Sri Lanka, there are few turtle conservations and I visited one in 2012. I love turtles 🙂

Level 10

Thanks dear @IlankovanT, for inspiring others. 

In Srilanka, Having turtles at home is a good or bad luck? In India,  especially in Tamilnadu it's a symbol of bad luck.