Siavash_T's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Travel to Qatar and record Google Street View

Hello, I am from Iran and I wanted to travel to Qatar to see the World Cup games and while I am staying in this country, I will shoot 360 Street View for Google Maps. I wanted to know if carrying an Insta X3 video camera and filming in public places requires a license from a special organization or institution or not?

Doha, Qatar
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Travel to Qatar and record Google Street View

Hi @Siavash_T 

I have been to Doha, but you need advice from a local who knows the local rules and regulations. Never mess with the authorities.

From Google Maps you do not need any permits and you can not get any form of ID proving a relationship with Google.  You will be acting on your own behalf.

Best of luck and thanks for adding 360 images to Google Maps.

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

In addition to what @MortenCopenhagen offered, you might also want to validate any technology restrictions both taking them out of your country and into Qatar. Both nations are under international sanctions so be careful to validate any restrictions so you don't lose your gear. You're already in a country without direct access to much of Maps functionality natively so it may be similar in Qatar. I would second the suggestion that you obtain competent legal advice before undertaking this sort of thing.

Paul

Level 8

Hello @PaulPavlinovich @MortenCopenhagen , do you know a local guide in Qatar that you can introduce to me so that I can talk to him or if possible mention him so that he can answer this question here please.

Connect Moderator

I am sorry, @Siavash_T.

I suggest you find and join one or two of the active street view groups on Facebook. And make a post there.

Best of luck

Morten 

Connect Moderator

A Local Guide is not a substitute for legal advice @Siavash_T