SP31's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Tranquility Within Reach of the New Orleans French Quarter

PXL_20220326_180111307.MP (1).jpg

While New Orleans, Louisiana (USA) is known for its world-famous French Quarter neighborhood, about three miles away visitors to the Gulf Coast city can find another slice of exploration emphasized by distinct architecture, history, and natural tranquility.

f6763fe6-b2eb-45b9-8e07-b62d3b891cbf.jpg

The Garden District, located to the Southwest of the New Orleans French Quarter, was originally an area founded (formally) in the 1840's that featured luxurious tree-lined streets and large properties that boasted architectural uniqueness.

e1152008-ca39-4db9-a42a-2494feb86e00.jpg

Large pink-hued home in Garden District, New Orleans, LouisianaLarge pink-hued home in Garden District, New Orleans, Louisiana

The neighborhood was formerly a plantation before its eventual incorporation into the city of Lafayette, and eventually New Orleans, after much development.

Sign in front of house that says Puech Shakespeare Tessier House in New Orleans, LouisianaSign in front of house that says Puech Shakespeare Tessier House in New Orleans, Louisiana

The neighborhood spans over about 130 acres, every street featuring eye-opening homes, each with their own signature, yet consistent, styles. Many of the homes feature signs/plaques that provide historical context to the home, such as when it may have been built, who the original owners were, and who may have lived there in the past. While there were definitely a variety of homes, the most eye-catching were the mansions that populated the area.

Buckner Mansion located in the Garden District, New Orleans, LouisianaBuckner Mansion located in the Garden District, New Orleans, Louisiana

One of these mansions that attracted many visitors was the Buckner Mansion, which used to be owned by a family who ran a cotton plantation. This home is incredibly famous due to its featuring in the show American Horror Story. It is believed to be haunted by the slave of the original owners.

That said, the neighborhood, outside of the tour groups you may come across, is very, very quiet, almost providing an eerie setting considering the Big Easy is known for being particularly lively.

Beautiful arrangement of flora in front of home in Garden District, New Orleans, LouisianaBeautiful arrangement of flora in front of home in Garden District, New Orleans, Louisiana

It would maybe, perhaps, had been more eerie if it was not for the sun shining on the lush landscape and floral displays within the properties we saw. We even walked by a few homes that had flowers that provided such wonderful scents and aromas - spring time is definitely the perfect time to visit.

Seeing these creative displays of nature made the stroll around the neighborhood that much more enjoyable. That said, some in our travel group could have imagined how much more eerie things may have been if exploring the neighborhood at night, especially with the Lafayette Cemetery No.1 nearby

Statue in front of Women's Guild New Orleans Opera House Association mansion in Garden District, New Orleans, LouisianaStatue in front of Women's Guild New Orleans Opera House Association mansion in Garden District, New Orleans, Louisiana

Art installation in front of home in Garden District, New Orleans, LouisianaArt installation in front of home in Garden District, New Orleans, Louisiana

One of my favorite parts about exploring this neighborhood was finding certain homes that had historical significance or featured artistic expressions, such as the Women's Guild New Orleans Opera House Association mansion which is used as an event venue, or the home that featured works of art from students who attend(ed) the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, as seen in the photos above.

So while New Orleans' French Quarter is still a must see & do experience for those visiting the area, taking some time to recuperate from the previous night's activities on Bourbon Street by visiting the serene Garden District is highly recommended.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
New Orleans, LA, USA
10 comments
Level 10

Re: Tranquility Within Reach of the New Orleans French Quarter

Hi @SP31 !

I really like this style of the houses, maybe because it is very familiar to me as it closely resembles the style of the architect Andrea Palladio, my fellow countryman! 🙂

However it seems unbelievable that the houses are almost entirely built in wood, at a glance you would not think!

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos!
David
Level 8

I think that is no doubt:It is beautyful,it is french style in New Orleans and it is one of the many reasons making that american city known and loved worldwide.

Level 8

Hii @SP31 all the pictures look beautiful click very perfectly. 

Nice post 

INDIA !Instagram!
Level 7

Very beautyful ... 👍👍👍

Connect Moderator

beautiful photos of the mansion, all lovely and with flowers in front of the house just made it more beautiful @SP31 

Connect Moderator

@davidhyno thanks, David! I just checked it out and the architectural styles are pretty close!

@samsulbahri @Saddam_1 @IamJoseFelixAranda thank you! 🙏

@Sophia_Cambodia thank you! Don't they make you wish you could live there, aside from the potential ghosts? 😁

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

@Sophia_Cambodia many have stories of seeing them, so I'd have to guess so! 😱

Connect Moderator

I see @SP31 

I am considering whether to go to New York or California now!