AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards 2 Year Anniversary

Top 100 Leaderboards No Way.gif

The Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards started on this very day, two years ago (see this post), and the focus then was on star photos, the photos that had the most views. A few months later, in that first year, this was extended to cover our total photo views. Both focused on views and that is, neither of these had anything to do with Local Guide points.  Then, on the first anniversary in July 2021, the top 100 Local Guide Points leaderboards were introduced.  Today, on this second anniversary, another exciting enhancement is being introduced!

Yes you can see where you are in terms of your different Google Maps contributions (photos, points etc) relative to others and to your peers, Local Guides at your level, but much more than that! You can use the leaderboards to monitor or track your Maps contributions and performance, see your points breakdown by contribution type, see what milestones you have achieved, and learn how to improve that performance by for example, taking the right type of photos for given POIs to get better results - more points and more views!  And what's more, you can do this all in a fun and engaging way!  But is that all?

Now I always say you don't have to be a top Local Guide to participate, and you don't because even a Level 1 Local Guide can join in and you don't have to be from a major town or big city. The leaderboards have been specially designed so that everyone can join in, learn and benefit and in the process I believe, can become much better Local Guides!

What's new that's being introduced on this second anniversary?

Now I have said that the leaderboards are more than just leaderboards!  In fact, I would go as far as saying that with the new features now being released, the leaderboards are just a by product of it all.  These new features provide you with much greater guidance on your Maps contributions.  For example, the new Analytics BIG Data feature gives you a macro, global, world, or big picture view of all the data contributed by Local Guides.

Analytics Customizer.png

I have here said macro however with the inbuilt Analytics Customizer you can also drill down and gain a more micro view of this big picture (e.g. by country, region and even city). In this way, in both these macro and micro views of the world, this feature will, for example, show you the type of photos that gain the most views and which Google Maps categories seem to attract these views (for example, is it a Buddhist Temple or Shopping Mall)! 

No Way!!!  I hear you say. Find out more

• To read more about the leaderboards, hit this link.
  • If you want to find out what others think about the leaderboards, then hit this link.
  • If you want to see what benefits you can get out of participating, then see this post
    by Level 7 Local Guide, @Mikeinthefalls ....use this link
  • Now if you want to see how deep it can get, then hit this link
  • If you're still unsure then I suggest that this is your link.(first session starting in 30 minutes)!!!
  • If you just want one link and wish to jump on "board", then use this link.

Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards from over 100 different countries!!!
10 comments
Level 8

Re: Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards 2 Year Anniversary

Congrats on 2 years @AdamGT ! I am very new here and I can't help but think I've missed so much lol From what I've seen though, it looks like the leaderboards have gotten so much better and I am happy to be a part of this. 

Cannot wait to test out 'BIG Data' as soon as it's ready. And I'm excited to see what else you have in store 😉

Level 10

Great meeting today @AdamGT  Looking forward to playing with the new analytics features. 

Connect Moderator

Hi All

Please note that changes are in hand regarding the Top 100 Local Guides server. Access to the site access will be restored as soon as possible.

I think we believe we're now back online 🙂

Adam

Level 8

Congratulations @AdamGT and well done! Happy Anniversary!

Cheers, Gigi 🙂
Connect Moderator

@AdamGT Yikes! You've really built this leaderboard into a beast!! Well done and I'm mightily impressed!! 👍

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Connect Moderator

Thanks @AdrianLunsong. There are already some really exciting features that some Local Guides are already using and learning how they can benefit from, and there are others to come 😉

Connect Moderator

@AdamGT Yeah, I saw the note/info on the graphs which should be a super fun way to visualise the data!! I didn't realise you're so techie! 

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Connect Moderator

A techie...LOL, far from it @AdrianLunsong.  I've had to dive into a space that I wasn't wanting to but had to in order to make this as easy as possible for everyone while still delivering some powerful benefits, benefits way beyond just rankings on leaderboards. I've wanted to do this from the early leaderboards but the platforms previously used just didn't cut it!  Fingers crossed that the current platform does!

Level 7

Wow...two years already?! Happy to have joined the party!