Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

The Most Beautiful Sundial in the World is in Delhi

After visiting the unique wall-mounted sundial in the Garden of Five senses I found another colorful and huge sundial that is erected in the middle of a circular flyover and I did not lose time to find out the entrance in the maze of flyovers. 

The Sundial is made of brass Its design is an amalgamation of history and contemporary ideas creating an armature towards the future. The idea behind its creation was to preserve and portray Indian history in a modern way for future generations.

The height of the sundial is 12.7 meters and length is 24.5 meters and it is huge. When I encountered it from close the first impression was that was awe and I was wonderstruck with its huge size, artistic shape, colorful paintings, and above all its magnificence.

SD_00.jpgSD_00.jpg 

Delhi is located at 77.25 degrees east whereas the Indian Standard time is based at 82.5 east so there is a chart etched in stone that tells how to adjust for the local time considering the location and season all year round for every week.

The security guard who also acted as a tour guide helped me calculate the exact time after checking the shadow location on the huge dial and taking into consideration the day 13-February-2021 by referring to the chart. It is a good idea to give him a tip when you visit the sundial park since underpaid people like him stand out there all day doing a 12-hour shift lending a helping hand to visitors.

Here's the view of the sundial from the other side where I could see a bird full of pride sitting on the top-most position 😊

The huge dial which is a raised platform made in concrete has the hours installed in the Devanagari script. This is helpful since a huge majority of people in and around Delhi go to Hindi medium schools that use the Devnagari script. I have heard people saying when they fought the British driving out of this country they also made sure to wipe out any traces of English from the region. This is unlike those in Bengal, Maharashtra, and the southern parts of India who embraced English wholeheartedly long after the British left India in 1947.

A large park is built around the sundial aptly called the Sundial park. The park is beautiful and I saw hundreds of smiling flowers blooming and sunbathing in the warm sunshine of February.

Have you seen a sundial before, especially where there was sunshine around? What was special about the sundial?
I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Until then... Happy Guiding 😊

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1596075880486.png Accessibility Features

The Sundial park is accessible and I noted there was a nice ramp and also the area around the sundial as leveled for the easy movement of a wheelchair.

Here's a snapshot:

✔️ Ramp access.
✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Entrance.
✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Restroom/Toilet.
✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Seating.
✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Parking.

Delhi, India
5 comments
Level 8

Re: The Most Beautiful Sundial in the World is in Delhi

I have heard but have not seen such sundial.

Informative post with nice pictures. Thank you so much for sharing such article with us.

Waiting for more from you @Tushar_Suradkar .

================================

Accessibility Champion- Kalyan Pal 

Level 8

Woww...its pretty interesting. It can be fun and learn for the kids. Very nice place. Thanks mate @Tushar_Suradkar 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Thank you @Rohan10 

Yes, it is a nice place for kids to learn how the sundial works.

Level 8

Thank you for sharing @Tushar_Suradkar sir.

Nice photos and Good informative sir

It is one of the Sundial in Annam Temple, Andhra Pradesh - Simplest Sundial.

Connect Moderator

Nice sundial @Nagavijay 

Thanks for sharing 👍