Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

The Jantar Mantar Medieval Era Astronomical Observatory Delhi

Last month I visited the Jantar Mantar after 30 years and it brought back memories from my school trip. These are astronomical observatories built in 1724 and located in the heart of Delhi.

Jantar is a corrupt word for Yantra meaning an instrument or device.
Matra means a formula or operating procedure.

JM00.jpgJM00.jpg

The Jantar-Mantar premises are huge and host 12 astronomy instruments. This site in Delhi is one of five built by Maharaja Jai Singh and last year I also visited the Jantar Mantar in Jaipur.

The observatories are buildings of unique form each specialized and dedicated for astronomical measurement. The Zero being invented long before in nearby Gwalior, this place was way ahead of its time when built and will always be one of its kind for the architecture, maths, science and behind it is that is very valuable.

The paper ticketing was discontinued and entry was by scanning a QR code and payment by net banking. 

The facilities like washrooms and well-paved paths are worth noticing.

Another remarkable feature here is the tactile maps and diagrams of the monuments that the blind can touch-sense to get an idea of the real object.

The large-scale structures at Jantar-Mantar and their striking geometric forms captivated my attention as a history buff and I am sure it does that for architects and artists as well.

This sundial is called the Samrat Yantra that is 70 feet high, 114 feet long at the base, and 10 feet thick. The hypotenuse is 128-foot and is parallel to the Earth's axis pointing towards the North Pole. The sundial is accurate down to a second but I could not witness the earth's movement since it was a cloudy day when I visited here.

The Rama Yantra has two large cylindrical structures with open top and is used to measure the altitude of stars based on the latitude and the longitude on the earth.

This is the huge interior side of the Ram Yantra.

The Misra Yantra is 5 instruments in one and designed as a tool to determine the shortest and longest days of the year. It can also be used to determine the moment of noon in various cities all over the world and 'Misra' the ancient name for Egypt has somehow stuck with this instrument due to the large exchange of trade and scientific information of ancient Egypt with India.

During the Asian Games in Delhi in 1982, the Misra Yantra was the emblem and a 25 Paise coin was also circulated to commemorate the games.

How to Reach

Take the Delhi Metro Yellow, Red, or the Blue line, all of which pass through Cannought Place. 

I visited the place on my bike and parked in the Palika underground parking for INR 10 per hour.

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1596075880486.png Accessibility Features

I conducted a detailed accessibility check at Jantar Mantar last week.

The highlight was a large metal board embossed in Braille with the description of the monument.

Delhi, India
25 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The Jantar Mantar Medieval Era Astronomical Observatory Delhi

It's really great post with perfect details @Tushar_Suradkar 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

It's very nice information. I have so much interest in astronomy. I would like to visit this place in future. Thank you so much @Tushar_Suradkar for sharing.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Thank you @NareshDarji 

Thank you @Rohan10 

What are your interests in astronomy like...? that is very interesting and it would be nice to know more about it 😊

Level 8

Observation of sky, space photography, spotting International Space Station and capturing photo, moon observation by telescope and many more. It's very interesting @Tushar_Suradkar .

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Wow... You must definitely write an article about this @Rohan10 

Level 9

رد: The Jantar Mantar Medieval Era Astronomical Observatory Delhi

موضوع شيق @Tushar_Suradkar 

شكرا على المعلومات القيمة ربما سنستعين بمعلوماتك لو سمحت لنا الفرصة لزيارة دلهي .

تحياتي

عمر

أنا عمر من المغرب وأنا مرشد محلي.
Connect Moderator

رد: The Jantar Mantar Medieval Era Astronomical Observatory Delhi

Thank you for your comments @Omarfahd 

You are welcome to Delhi 🤝 🇮🇳

Level 8

খুব সুন্দর তথ্যপূর্ণ একটি কানেক্ট পোস্ট। দিল্লির এই জ্যোতির্বিজ্ঞানের সুন্দর জায়গা গুলির ফটো অনেক ভালো হয়েছে। @Tushar_Suradkar আমার কাছে সবচেয়ে আকর্ষণীয় ফটো 25 পয়সার কয়েন এর সাথে এই ছবিটি অনেক সুন্দর হয়েছে।

Happy local guiding 🌟

🇧🇩

Arjulla Hossain
Connect Moderator

Thank you for the comments @ArjullaHossain 

I am glad you took notice of the coin.

It was the most famous of all coins that Indians remember.

The 25 Paise coin also called the 'Chavanni' went out of circulation last year, but I have a few of those with me 😊