Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

The Historic Half-Complete Alai Minar Tower in Delhi

The Alai Minar is located within the Qutub Minar complex and a single entry ticket will also give you access to several other monuments including the 2200 old iron pillar and a medieval Sundial.

The Alai Minar is half-broken and seems more like a half-completed monument, a poor cousin of the magnificent Qutub Minar.  Whereas the Qutub Minar is made of interlocking sandstone blocks and stands tall after several centuries, the Alai Minar is clearly made using stone and lime mortar and hence could not sustain its own weight especially because it is stuffed inside unlike the Qutub Minar which is a well-designed and constructed tower with space for a spiral staircase inside.

The Alai Minar in the Qutub Complex in Delhi, photo by local guide @Tushar_SuradkarThe Alai Minar in the Qutub Complex in Delhi, photo by local guide @Tushar_Suradkar

As per the tourist guide and some plaque installed nearby, it was constructed by Alauddin Khalji to commemorate some military victory and with an intention to make it higher than the nearby Qutub Mina albeit with a flawed base, to begin with.  Unfortunately his successors never took up the completion of the Alai Minar and today it stands as a massive red rubble structure in the Qutub complex area.

Have you been to a historic place that was left half-complete and has remained like that ever since? I'd be interested in knowing your experience.

Until then... Happy Guiding 😊

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1596075880486.png Accessibility Features

The entire Qutub Minar complex Being a UNESCO World Heritage site all basic accessibility features were available both outside and inside the monument for the differently-abled.

✔️  Ramp Access.
  ✔️  A wheelchair-accessible Entrance.  
  ✔️  A wheelchair-accessible Parking.
  ✔️  A wheelchair-accessible Restroom/Toilet.

Delhi, India
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The Historic Half-Complete Alai Minar Tower in Delhi

Hi @ErmesT and moderators.

This repeat posting has happened today again without my knowledge.

Requesting to not merge the two posts as I am editing the other one with the contents of another interesting place.

Thank you.

Connect Moderator

Many new articles, keep up good work @Tushar_Suradkar 

How far do you think you are going now? You will get 300 articles very soon!

Level 10

Beautiful views

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Sophia_Cambodia 

300 is achievable for sure but won't get me any badge or recognition 😊

Level 10
Level 10

@Tushar_Suradkar 

अभ्यागतांना ईमारतीच्या आत प्रवेश करता येतो का?
फोटो पाहिल्यावर ही ईमारत मोडकळीला आली आहे असेच वाटते. 
Connect Moderator

@C_T 

ह्या मॉन्युमेंट भोवती सर्व बाजूने कुंपण असल्याने कुणाला प्रवेश करणे अशक्य आहे, तसेच जवळून पाहण्यासारखे विशेष काही नसल्याने कुणाला उत्सुकता देखील नसावी.

मात्र मोडकळीस आलेल्या इमारतीच्या जवळ जाणे धोकादायक असल्याचे वाटून ASI ने असे केले असावे असे दिसते.

Level 8

Great post @Tushar_Suradkar. Photo is very nice. Nice information too.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Thank you dear @Rohan10 😊

Level 7

@Tushar_Suradkar  thank you for sharing an informative and colorful post .

Happy Guiding!

#WBLG