Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: The 90% Degree Photo

Surely, yes, friend @TerryPG

I shall update you in a week or two. 

Regards with greetings 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Level 10

Welcome....

Best wishes, @TerryPG 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

@TerryPG You have an interesting idea. I have not thought to look at things that way. 

I think this 90 degree way of taking a picture, is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, hence the popularity. If you look at exterior architectural photography images, you'll see a lot of them take a this approach. 

I shall test out this theory though. I took some pictures that way and am exited to see how they do. It is not in the States, or any major country for that matter, so Google is not really used that much. But, I think this is a good way to test the theory 🙂 

Level 10

Thanks @EvaBar  shouldn't  matter what part of the world they are taken in, Please let me know how these photos work for you and if any of them become the featured photo.

Level 8

@TerryPG  Will do. I am watching them like a hawk now!

Level 7

Re: The 90 Degree Photo

@TerryPG  A very insightful post and you've clearly found something that is working for you! 

I can honestly say that I've never focused on "90%" angle when framing my photos, but I am interested to go back and see which of my Featured Photos are and how many they number? 

I also noticed that you're not just centering the signage on both sides, but capturing two sides of detail for the POI - I think that is improving your chances of being featured! Congrats on your success 🥳

To chime in on a few of your questions:

*Does Goggle prefer sunny skies?

• I have come to the conclusion that if you take the exact same photo and one day is cloudy, the other sunny - Sunny wins, so long as the sun isn't shining directly at the POI and "washing it out". I have posted multiple photos of the same location with different skies and the sunny photo is typically the one chosen. 

*Do you edit your photos before posting?

• Minimally as possible. I crop for framing; adjust shadows, contrast and brightness for lighting corrections. Maybe warmth or saturation, occasionally. I'll blur license plates in the few instances they end up in my photo.  

*How come Google changed my featured photo?

• I wish I knew?! I've had some photos that have been Featured Photo for well over a year, others some times only last a month, or even a few days. The newly added photo replacing mine makes more sense than shuffling my previous #1 photo to the Abyss and moving a photo that's 5 years old and contains inaccurate signage or an old storefront - I'm forever baffled by those?
Level 10

Thank you @Mikeinthefalls , I do agree with Google seems to prefer sunny skies to dull ones, but If I'm on a walkabout I can't change the weather,

I will brighten up the pics a bit upon editing but I also prefer minimal editing. I know Google has a paid service you can subscribe to and it it makes the background Sunny But I just don't want to pay for it yet,  

Yes I try and centre everything especially the signage.

Thanks for the kind words.

Connect Moderator

@TerryPG I absolutely love that you have noticed this particular preference of Google! I had not considered this before when taking storefront photos, and I will absolutely be changing how I take photo angles in the future. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!

Level 10

Thank you @Kwiksatik  this little trick has helped my photo views immensely, please let me know if it works for you and if google makes them the featured photo