Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Streets of Pune Part 2 - A SOS Emergency Call Box

Last month I relocated to Pune and took to take a stroll along the amazing sidewalks to discover the city life. I was looking out for what was new, what has not changed same and guess what was has gone in the past 6 years while I was away in Delhi.

On the sidewalks on Baner road, I come across this emergency call box installed on a streetlight pole that also had SOS written on its side. 

IMG_20210804_190818.jpgIMG_20210804_190818.jpg

SOS is an international code signal of extreme distress originate in the Morse Code sequence that is not an abbreviation for anything,  The actual code is a combination of dots and dashes like ...---...

The SOS box was installed as part of the Pune Smart City initiative had simple and clear 2-step instructions:
1. Press the button.
2. Wait for operator assistance.

I noted that the SOS box also had a camera on the front side and perhaps one could stand in front of it for a remote operator to view the caller.

The SOS box had a button and when pushed would connect to the control room that is further connected to a patrolling vehicle in that area. The calling person can then inform the control room about the situation he/she is into and gets a solution. 

This SOS box could be used in the case of an accident, traffic jam, tire puncture, no petrol, medical aid, etc.

The box is colored pink indicating it is geared towards the women folk although Pune along with Bangalore and Mumbai are considered to be the safest cities for women in India.

Nevertheless, walking on the streets of Pune helped me discover this interesting and useful SOS box that I have added to Google Maps in the category 'Emergency Call Booth'.

Features like these are what make Google Maps the Go-To app for people across all walks of life. I am glad I could add my 2-cents worth of info to Google Maps.

Tushar_Suradkar_0-1596075880486.png Accessibility Features

I found that the SO Scall box was installed on a streetlight pole and the sidewalk itself was accessible so that a wheelchair-bound person too could access the box.

Here's a snapshot:

✔️ Ramp Access.
  ✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Entrance.
  ✔️ A wheelchair-accessible Parking.

Pune, Maharashtra, India
6 comments
Level 8

Re: Streets of Pune Part 2 - A SOS Emergency Call Box

It's great to add such emergency feature on maps. Thank you so much for sharing the same @Tushar_Suradkar . It's very useful in urgent situation. I have not seen such box in Mumbai.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

@Rohan10 
It was set up as part of the Smart Pune scheme 😇

Do you know if Mumbai is also a part of that?

Level 8

Hi @Tushar_Suradkar  this is so going to be useful and it should be installed in every city of India.

What a brilliant idea by the Pune government and thanks to you for sharing this equipment knowledge with us. 

This equipment I still haven't seen in mumbai did you only see in Pune or even someone where else too.?

Truly important for today's life 🙏

15K SKY DIVING EXPERIENCE 

TIPS TO TRAVEL PARIS 

TRIP FROM PARIS TO BRUSSELS 

ROAD TRIP FROM BRUSSELS TO AMSTERDAM 

Connect Moderator

Agree, @Pratik_89 

It was set up as part of the Smart City scheme.

Pune was selected as one of the cities.

Not sure if Mumbai is also a part of the scheme by the state government?

This page shows the list of such cities.

Level 9

It is an important thing for smart city initiative @Tushar_Suradkar and I think currently it has been installed in those expanding locality. 

Good to have this information with us, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | A Photo Challenge of the Roses: Nature's Masterpieces | Unusual, strange siting challenge: I noticed a plane parked next to the highway! ‌ |
Connect Moderator

Agree with you @ajitthite 

I think this was implemented only in a selected area of Pune and not everywhere.