awilfox's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Storm-damaged businesses

Hey there Guides,

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, US and we had a shopping district ­— one of my favourites, and a source of a lot of my contributions — completely destroyed by a tornado.  An example:

IMG_20170808_142324.jpg

I would like to mark these places as condemned.  They aren't all permanently closed; AT&T confirmed they won't be reopening, and I marked that one as permanently closed.  However, I know that Vintage Stock, Woodcrest, and Whataburger want to rebuild, and I believe most of the other businesses do as well.  Is there any way to say that these places are currently closed due to storm damage, but will reopen some point in the future?  The Verizon store I use to pay my bill when their Web site doesn't work is also closed due to tornado damage, but it was still listed on Maps so I drove out there to find it roped off.  This feature/information might help other people in areas that experience tornadoes, hurricanes, and such in the future as well.

My other question is for businesses that don't reopen: do our contributions to those places still count towards our points?  I don't want to sound insensitive, and I care a lot more about the businesses and the people involved than I do about imaginary Internet points; however, I also know that having a higher Local Guide level means my reach is wider to help other businesses be discovered and grow.  That is why I wonder what will happen to those contributions.

Thank you very much in advance for any insight you can offer.

Southroads Village, East 41st Street, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, United States
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Storm-damaged businesses

Hi @awilfox I like this idea and I would like to see it put into practice. I think there is need for "temporarily closed" because all sorts of things happen from weather to fire to renovations to family sickness in a small business. It has been brought up a few times.

You might be interested in also posting this onto the Maps Forum https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/maps as it is more of a Maps issue that affects Local Guides than an actual Local Guides issue.

Regards

Paul

Level 8

I agree with this

Connect Moderator

I love this idea as well, @awilfox - there are always renovations happening to some of my favorite places here in Miami. For instance, a place I love called Burger and Beer Joint has been under renovations for quite a while. Once I planned dinner there but was not aware that it was temporarily closed - had that option been available and a guide had marked it as so (or the owners themselves), it would have been helpful!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

@awilfox that is surprising that there is no category like that or even a temporary closed at lease....

New WriterNew SolutionistGood FriendSuper Popular| 9 Badges so far! | My Connect Profile | My Contributions