MortenCopenhagen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Spotting attractive storefront designs

This is part 17 of 19 in the Storefront Photography Series. Click/tap here to see the Series Index

Throughout this series, the emphasis has been on photography skills, getting more views, and complying with the photo rules of Google Maps. This week's topic is a lot more subjective. I will try to answer the question: What does an attractive storefront look like? I have a soft spot when it comes to pretty storefronts.

While on photo walks, I also can't help paying attention to storefronts' visual qualities. I make more of an effort to get a great shot when I see a pretty and unique storefront compared to just another McDonald's that looks pretty much the same everywhere.

I know that McDonald's will probably earn me more views on Google Maps, but I like to reward small, independent, and creative business owners for their photogenic storefronts by sharing high-quality photos to help promote them on Google Maps. Hopefully, this will inspire Maps users to pay a visit.

A perfect storefront has to:

• be eye-catching
  • have an outstanding name sign
  • have well-defined edges
  • have a good size
  • be without distractions.

Eye-catching

A photogenic storefront is unique and interesting. Maybe even unusual in the neighborhood. To make the best photos there should be plenty of contrasts and colors attracting customers' attention both in real life and online. Outside illumination beyond advertising signs in the form of lamps is also a plus. Overhangs blocking natural light are unfavorable. Basically, the design should attract attention and make us want to visit. Please also see Balance the indoor and the outdoor light and Make your shots look brighter and better.

Outstanding name sign

The business name should be short so huge letters can be used. The name must be very easy to read, preferably illuminated, or otherwise with high contrast. Ideally, the name sign should span the entire width of the store. Size really matters, it should be readable from a distance and also proportional to the height of the storefront.

Maps photos are often shown in a tiny format on mobile screens, so a prominent name sign is a must to stand out and attract attention.

Well defined edges

A photogenic storefront leaves no doubt where the edges are. The signage and wall paint should clearly mark where the storefront starts and stops when there is more than one shop in a building. This helps the shop to really stand out and pop relative to its neighbors.

Good size

For Google Maps photos square storefronts are really good. You can zoom and crop super tight to make the business pop out and catch the eyes of Maps users. This is only possible with storefronts that are about 2 times wider than the height or you will have to include margins to the left and right of the storefront. Tall businesses spanning more floors can be challenging to photograph without leaning vertical lines. So square shops at street level are the easiest to photograph for Google Maps.

Without distractions

As discussed in How to avoid distractions there should be no cars, people, street furniture, traffic signs, electric wires, etc. to steal the attention of Maps users. There should be no clutter obstructing the view of the business.

Do you agree, and are you also a sucker for a pretty storefront?

Cheers

Morten

PS: Next week I will present a quick and new Excellence Check.

Copenhagen, Denmark
7 comments
Level 9

Betreff: Spotting attractive storefront designs

Öfters sehe ich ein schönes Geschäft und habe auch den richtigen Blickwinkeln für ein Foto gefunden aber dann bleibt irgendjemand ausgerechnet vor dem Geschäft stehen und macht auch keine Anstalten weiter zu gehen. Was bleibt ich vertröste mich auf ein anderes mal. 

Level 10

Re: Spotting attractive storefront designs

Nice job @MortenCopenhagen 

Love to see the amount of detail and care you put into your photos. I also like how you focus more on the small businesses. 💕

Level 10

Me too. Same as @Annaelisa - often someone stops in front of the shop. Especially if it's in an indoor mall, it can be hard to find the perfect moment of no one in front. 💙

Level 8

Good points as usual @MortenCopenhagen I particularly like what you said about outstanding name signs. 

Of course, store owners are hardly likely to be thinking about Local Guides photographers when they create their names, so "The business name should be short so huge letters can be used" sometimes doesn't work out in our favour. 

Level 8

@AZ_2021 and @Annaelisa I know how you feel. I've been driving to a location at least once a week for the past month trying to get a decent photo to post along with a review. Spending money on food and coming away with no photo. 😞

Two days ago I almost got it, and then an elderly couple came and sat on the seats nearest the door. I waited a bit longer until they left, but immediately a group of friends arrived for lunch and obstructed another important element of my photo. The signage on this storefront is awkwardly placed, so taking it from a greater distance will not work. 

Connect Moderator

@tony_b

I believe having a short store name is also good for business in general.

Thanks for always leaving good comments. 

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 9

@MortenCopenhagen 

I couldn't agree more. Local over chain. I was at a shopping center recently so we could go to a Joanne Fabric store.  I looked at the storefront and just couldn't bring myself to take a photo of it.

Alfred New
TRAC Badge