szliuyun2011's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Splendid sunset before the typhoon "Mangkhut" hit China

Initially, I took my Nikon camera with a solid tripod there, planning to shoot in bulk to create time-lapse videos.

However, I am not familiar with specific settings under such scenario for my gear.

And I cannot upload the file(s) exceeding 3072 kB (That's too little for photographers with DSLRs!).

So it turns out that I can only post photos in my iPhone now. ?

Photos posted below are taken in West Kowloon Cultural Area, Hong Kong SAR(香港西九龍文化區):

This is a merged  panorama by Photoshop from 3 original photos.This is a merged panorama by Photoshop from 3 original photos.

Originally I set the position for my camera like this below, and apparently it's not enough to embrace the whole view:Original angle for my DSLR on a tripod.Original angle for my DSLR on a tripod.

This one is better in color gradient, and some "silver-linings" at the edge of clouds.This one is better in color gradient, and some "silver-linings" at the edge of clouds.

A picture is worth a thousand words. (^_^)v

My Instagram: szliuyun2011
香港尖沙咀西九文化區
11 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Splendid sunset before the typhoon "Mangkhut" hit China

Hello @szliuyun2011,

Amazing photos, thank you for sharing with us. I really like sunset and sunrise photos. How about you? If you have interest, I recommend you to take a look at our ongoing post How is sunrise and sunset in your city? ,and you can share your photos there. 

You can also check out the What makes a good post? topic and tell us more about yourself and get to know others in our monthly Introduce Yourself topic.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Dear Ivy_Ge: Thanks for you kind invitation. I will share some more later in your post. Actually I have accumulated a large volume of sunset photographs and put some of them on iStock (a microstock photo site run by Getty Images) commercially. You can check my portfolio first: https://www.istockphoto.com/portfolio/jingyeliu?mediatype=photography&sort=best.

Google Moderator

You are welcome @szliuyun2011. By the way don't forget when responding to others make sure to tag them (by writing @ before their names) in a post so they can receive notifications that you are communicating with them.

I am going to check your portfolio and I am looking forward to your future post here on Connect!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@Ivi_Ge Roger. Glad to have my works praised by Google 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Hi @szliuyun2011,

I must say those are some great photos. You must be having some great photography skills. Are there any tips you know when taking photos of sunsets and sunrises?

If you have interest in photography why not take a look at this article How to take great photos in low light. I think you will find it quite interesting.

Caption: A night photo of Hong Kong from an airplane. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A night photo of Hong Kong from an airplane. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

I also visited this year Hong Kong only for some hours, but I was amazed by this great city. Are you living there or you were just visiting?

你会讲中文,是吧?:)

Level 8

@TsekoV 中文?那当然了,我是中国人。:-)

As of the tips shooting sunrise/sunset landscape...well, your colleague @Christina-NYC has already written a helpful article in general. So I would only put forward some specific technical tips based on it:

1. Take your DSLR and tripod. Smartphones are not designed to take photos, their CMOS are much smaller than DSLRs in sizes. They cannot record as many details as DSLRs, which is a critical disadvantage when shooting landscape scenery;  

2. Shoot with Aperture-priority or just Manual mode.  Lights and colors are changing rapidly during sunset or sunrise hours. Fixed on a tripod, you can simply adjust the aperture and the camera finds the best exposure time (or shutter speed) itself. If you are confident with your skills, you can shoot in manual mode to have full control of the whole process;

3. Compose before shooting. Professional photographers often draw a "big picture" in mind before pressing the button, e.g. grand scenery/close-up shots, the relationship of foreground/subject/background, the blurred/sharp space, the subject. Composing beforehand helps to increase the artistic/commercial value of the works produced;

4. Try unusual perspectives. Try to shoot at a low or high angle, or focus on different subjects other than just the landscape, you may get "surprises". Besides Hong Kong, I had shot sunset photos at a coastal avenue in Shenzhen where there was a power network built on the sea. Instead of just shooting those "tour-guide" style photos, I focused on the power towers, and produced such a simple but thoughtful photo:The pylon with power lines, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Lens: Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm F/4G ED VR; Aperture: F10; Exposure: 1/400 sec; ISO: 200; Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.The pylon with power lines, by Libra Liu. Camera Model: Nikon D750; Lens: Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm F/4G ED VR; Aperture: F10; Exposure: 1/400 sec; ISO: 200; Focal length: 24mm. No flash, no exposure bias.

Those tips are very useful @szliuyun2011 and thank you for sharing them with us.

As you like photography I am going to suggest you to take a look at 2 more articles Photo Tips - Manual Photography - 1 - TravellerG and DIY - 360 Camera adapter for Helmet!.

Is photography your passion?

咱们用中文还是英文交流方便?

Level 8

@TsekoV Actually it’s more like a business to me. I have been a contributor for several stock photo sites, uploading my works and licensing their franchises to buyers for money.

@szliuyun2011 我就要和你分享Connect平台的意义。它是一个认识其他在地向导、分享您的故事、提供功能请求、组织聚会、互相帮助。分享您的回响等的地方。参与的人都来自世界各地的谷歌地图的所有成员。他们都以个人是参与的,而不代表任何组织或公司。