JorgeG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Space in Google forums, G+, etc

Im against the way google spend the administration of the space, if you upload a picture in here it takes space from my account, how can i fix it? same on G+

5 comments
Level 10

Re: Space in Google forums, G+, etc

@JorgeG I think that is why Google gives us 100GB space free of charge for Local Guides(Level 4 and above) for two years. Actually, I got 1TB.

Connect Moderator

@JorgeG for this problem Local guides team Give u Free 100gb free drive for One year (Before july it was 1tb) ..so that why u can solve your storage coverage fix with it. 

For more information Post this question on Google drive help forum https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/drive

Level 5

I had that my year is almost over now what 

@MD ShafiulB wrote:

@JorgeG for this problem Local guides team Give u Free 100gb free drive for One year (Before july it was 1tb) ..so that why u can solve your storage coverage fix with it. 

For more information Post this question on Google drive help forum https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/drive

Connect Moderator

@JorgeG HI ..

Your files will stay saved in your Google Drive. If you don't have any more storage space, you won't be able to add more files unless you remove files or buy storage.

Level 10

Hi @JorgeG

In Google photos (the app in your camera as well as the desktop settings or the desktop uploader) you can choose to save photos at "high quality". This does not mean "original quality" as that can be bigger but Google Photos will compress your photo as well as reduce the size to (currently) 16 Megapixel which would be equal to a 4096 pixel per 4096 pixel (square) photo (note that not long ago it was only 2048x2048 - i.e. 4Mp). Since most photos are not square but a longer rectangle, this allows for quite big file sizes. Please, read the help documentation here: 

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791

In fact, most top notch mobile phones today would not exceed this limit. I have a Samsung S7 (Edge) and with the biggest (longer) side it can take is 4032 pixels (the biggest image being 4032x3024 at 4:3 aspect ratio - that's 12Mb) which means I can synch all my photos at original size without taking a single byte of my 1Tb storage space. It actually means that I have practically not used much of my storage (I currently still have 1116.4 Gb left with thousands of photos stored online). 

For me, only some stitched photos (either spherical or cylindrical) exceed the max 16 Mp "high quality" limit (my photo spheres are 30Mp) but even with those, I am well below what Google would provide for "free" (15 Gb) to anyone. 

So I would not worry too much of running out of space to be honest. Also, I usually use Google Photos (after uploading or synching) to store my Google Maps photos until I upload them to the map (adding them to a certain POI). Once a photo is uploaded and appears in the map, you can safely delete it from your photos storage (although of course you may wish to keep backups...).