Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

Sounds like someone has been gm'ing quite a few Shadowruns recently. ;-D

Level 2

I think everyone likes to contribute. Everyone has a need to be able to make world a bit better. But I think , technology is still very difficult for most of us. For example , I had to struggle a lot to even reply to this post. I would say it is not that intuitive. Many times when I am searching for a place on Google maps , and a place is missing. Usually one is too busy to add the place at that particular time. I am in hurry at that time to reach that place. Now if I could easily add the place when I reach the place. I would love it. Few reminders can be given for adding a missing place

BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
  • Adding hidden or great new places
  • Answering questions
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaD’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Level 7

Although I can appreciate a good read, I find it important to get down to the 'first impressions' provide feedback of why I stopped or decided to choose the place. When reviewing I attempt to add pictures for the visual and add savory words to describe an entrée. In my mind K.I.S.S, keep it simple silly, really like to cut through the foreplay so the dance can begin. As far as customer service experience or how a place 'looks' really it is each persons preference or opinion. What one individual may find to be quaint another may find completely pewtrid. Happy tipping and exploring, thanks to the other members for all your words of wisdom!

Level 2

大家好一起做環保

Level 2

When you go to a location and take a picture, try to take a picture that has some sort of useful information. IE a menu or kiosk. Another good tip is to get an overview photo of the establishment if you can. Think about what you would want to know about the establishment if you were looking for info and incorporate it in your guide.

Level 7

Hi everyone, more you visit places, the more you know the facts to update the map accordingly. That's what I do normally.

Secondly, contacting directly the orgnization, shop etc. representative is the best option to get accurate information about that place.

Level 6

Playing Ingress (the niantic game) helps. As an ingress agent, when i get a chance to add points for my pioneer badge, i take that opportunity to look at newer places i haven't been to. 

Level 2

I need to use photo's more often. However. when reviewing food establishments; I always try to find something awesome on the menu to recommend. Hopefully, the reader will give it a try.

Level 9

Dear Friend,

Appreciate if you could take food photos and post for someone who love different food.

Level 4

My life partner and I are traveling the world and can truly be "local guides" all over the world. Our travels have brought us so far to France, Spain, Dubai, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, and more to come. We've experienced many local restaurants, hard to find stores, and must eat small food carts. The best tips I can contribute for other local contributors is:

* Take photos of exterior and interior so people can recognize locations when searching online. Also lighting and coloring can be fixed with apps such as Snapsneed. Love this photo correcting app!

* Write reviews that reflect your personality and things you liked and disliked.

* I take advantage of local word of mouth places so I either star places on the map or now create different lists right on Google Maps. This helps me find hidden gems later for reviews.

* Also, since I travel frequently I use "my timeline" on Google Maps to help me know where I've been. It's super easy when you take photos because My Timeline collects your travel locations and photos into one place.

Hope this helps and happy reviewing. For anyone that wants to follow my nomadic journey.

16110821_1017120281727580_6130600648607006720_n.jpg