BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

why don't you guys create an app for local guides connect. it would be easier for local guides to contribute.

Level 8

I have been contributing to Google maps for more than 1 year and I should say that it has improved the maps in a huge way, whether it is in terms of reliability(showing the right places at the right location), content(description of each place), quantity of data(how many places were marked) in my locality atleast. I am sure this has helped many people find the best possible routes as well as important places nearby. To keep the local guides even more engaged, we also had some nice contests which only helped the public at large as well as created a sense of healthy competition between various local guides. Some won and some lost in those contests, but personally it has been a highly rewarding experience, especially when we see how many people have used the info, whether it is the number of views that the photo received, or the number of thumbs ups that any review might have got. 2017 looks no different than 2016, except from the fact that it is bound to have more demand and lots of new places to be added due to the massive requirement of data related to financial institutions like banks, ATMs, insurance offices, home loan financiers, etc. This is due to the demonetisation which proved to be a big boon to the banks and ultimately to the people. Keep google maps reaching new heights in 2017! I hope to have a feature where real time data can be updated by the owners of that place regarding latest info about that place, for example highlighting the special dish of the day when I click a restaurant, or the cash availability of an ATM in real time, or the latest deals when I click a retail shop, all in a very simple layout, in a kind of bubble.

regards,
Anil
Level 3

Hi, I'm new to Maps local guide too. Actually taking photos is my passion. Since it can help others to provide important and handy information, I've started to post the photos online. I'm really happy to see notification from google maps when our posting hit certain number of views.

I try my best to comment honestly based on my view and what I experienced. Sometimes it can be negative comments too. 

I focus on small things whenever explore new places. There are lot of people out there to post on famous and big things. So I choose to post small and interesting things. 

Level 7

merhaba, adım abdullah, benim için değerli olan, bildiklerimi paylaşmak, herkes için hayatı kolaylaştırmak 🙂

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
  • Adding hidden or great new places
  • Answering questions
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Level 2

Saya Hilman berasal dari Kedah negeri yang terletak di utara Malaysia dan pada ketika ini bekerja di Wilayah Persekutuan Putrajaya. Terima kasih kerana menyediakan platform ini. Diharap ianya dapat menjadi medium dalam membantu masyarakat bagi mencari dan berkongsi maklumat mengenai tempat, lokasi dan fasiliti yang mereka ingin terokai serta gunakan.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Level 8

Be honest and transparent (yes pictures help!) and if asked by the owner to revise a (usually bad) review for a free meal (yes this happens) also be honest about this in your edits.

Level 3

I like to keep my reviews short and simple. If I visit a location more than once I may leave a second more detailed review.  I like to think that the person reading my review may need information just to make a decision over one place or another. I too find myself trying to choose a place to eat... sometimes in transit. I feel that simple accurate information helps a person decide more on a place to visit than an elaborate story line. This allows the person reading reviews to choose a short simple to the point review or a short story form review. Keeping an open mind to me is an important process on leaving a review, and at times I have countered another person's review that I have felt would be unbiased and mislead a person from not visiting a place due to a one sided review or opnions on something

Level 7

wha?? free meals. its happens? I think your on to something.

Just kidding I wouldn't want to abuse the system that is in place

Level 9

How faster can I make the posts appear for the world ?

I have a suggestion. Google can provide an option ,say, a photograph with address of the place like Name, unit number, level etc. These particulars can help the process of posting in public.

If adding an additional option 'photographs' in the missing places, hope the process can be faster as those photographs can work as a Catalist for Google for the search and confirm the existence of a specific product/place.

Level 8

Betreff: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

great idea i will