RTbm's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Saved place lists in Google Maps - Improvements (colors, icons, order, ...)

Hi! Thanks for this precious feature first.

Here i come with some suggestions, because i think that it needs some improvements to be plainly usefull!

Currently, there are no way to distinct a custom list from an other (color and icon), on the map. The three default lists with their own icon and color are good, but don't cover all possibilities of usability. For my own example, if i want to create lists like "best restaurants" and "restaurants to try", or "best coffees" and "best coffees for work", or "my favorite restaurants" and "my favorites parks" and "my favorite bars"... Or an other concrete example, a list "restaurants to try" (well, the name is speaking) and an other "usefull places" (i save place like airport, bus stations, ferries spots or administrative buildings that i need when i arrive in some countries ; believe me or not it can be pretty convenient because some places are really "drown" in some cities). Pretty hard to do distinguish of these lists on the map. Same color and same icon. And more you add, more it start to be confused (worst in big cities) and so... almost useless.
Below some screenshots to illustrate that. I think it can be possible to add these options of customisation on the (already existing) editing screen of the list. The set of icons and colors are already available on Google Maps for various features.

Screenshot_20170125-024643.png  Screenshot_20170125-024719.png

Plus, with that, if this possibility to have custom icons and custom colors is set. Because a location can be in multiples lists, it must be possible to define some kind of order or priority for the "color+icon" to be displayed, like currently when you add an item in "favorites", the heart get the display priority.

With these addings, i think your new feature will cover a majority of case (sure there are too the possibility for export/import these lists, but it's already discussed on others topics).

31 comments
Level 8

Re: Saved place lists in Google Maps - Improvements (colors, icons, order, ...)

Hi @RTbm,

Your suggestions will be great addons to the Save Lists feature.

Former Google Contributor

Re: Saved place lists in Google Maps - Improvements (colors, icons, order, ...)

Thanks for the suggestion @RTbm. This is really helpful, we'll pass it along to the Maps team 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Feature Request : Custom Icons for Lists

I have been creating custom lists on Google Maps since this feature started but I think I might be creating too many! 

I think it would be nice to have custom icons for the lists. I personally would prefer simple color differentiation,  but different icons would also serve the same purpose. 

For example if I am planning a trip somewhere, I label my accommodations and then points of interests, places to eat etc.. So it would be nice to see them in different colors or icons. 

This feature Request comes after the post from @LuisRG

On how to create custom lists 

Ann

Re: Feature Request : Custom Icons for Lists

Thank you so much for sharing @Ann-MarieS! I'll pass it along

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 10

@LuisRG

@Ann-MarieS

Really a nice suggestion will be helpful for all of us

Happy mapping 

Level 5

I do agree with suggestion

Connect Moderator

Iconos diferentes para "Tus sitios / Guardados"

Me gustaría poder contar con la opción de asignarle iconos diferentes a las listas que creo en "Mis sitios / Guardados" de tal manera que si creo una lista de restaurantes pueda asignarle el icono de los cubiertos de comida o si creo una lista de estadios de fútbol pueda asignarle el icono del futbolista, eso permitiría poder tener sierro grado de orden en mis listas al buscar una en particular de todas las que tengo.

IMG_4822.JPG

Re: Iconos diferentes para "Tus sitios / Guardados"

Hola @FaridTDF, es una buena idea. Y de hecho, ya ha sido compartida por aquí 🙂

Connect Moderator

Re: Iconos diferentes para "Tus sitios / Guardados"

Jenial @LuisRG, si tienes cual el es Ud del Post me lo pasas así funciono los post en uno  solo 🙂