TazJar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Roman Olive Trees in Jordan

Historians say that the Fertile Crescent, of which Jordan forms a part , is the place where agriculture and early human civilizations such as Sumar flourished. Technological advances in the region include the development of writing, glass, the wheel, agriculture and the use of irrigation. Researchers have proved that humans started planting sugar cane and extracting sugar in ten thousand BC, here in the Jordan Valley. So many civilizations up until this day have lived in this part of the world ; therefore Jordan is a significant country for the resources it possesses, its strategic political  location and the rich agricultural space? . Jordan has a lot to offer to all humans living on this planet, from historical places such as Petra (one of the Seven Wonders of the World), Jesus’s baptism site, the Dead Sea (the lowest point on earth), scuba diving in the Red Sea, wandering in sand dunes in Wadi Rum, and hiking in beautiful and diverse natural spaces. Within three to four hours driving, you can change landscape from forests in the North to the rocky, harsh Eastern Desert, to the sand dunes of Wadi Rum, to the lowest point on earth at the Dead Sea to the coral reefs of the Red Sea in Aqaba. Jordan is, of course, well known for its considerably moderate climate, where people can enjoy all four seasons in a balanced way, for it’s situated in both the northern and eastern hemisphere. Not to mention the high fertility of the soil due to being part of the Fertile Crescent.

With the help of some friends, I have been introduced to nature in Jordan, through hiking and camping trips. This was a changing point in my life, where I started discovering and falling in love with the country I was born in and lived in for 32 years. Being born in Amman, the capital, and out of ignorance, I always assumed that there is nothing outside Amman except Petra, Aqaba and the Dead Sea. I have realized after almost nine years of hiking and camping around Jordan that the best way to explore a country would be to walk it, to be able to explore the urban, untouched, unpolluted areas that most people cannot reach by car or bus. In such places, a human can connect with nature and oneself. This is where the magic happens.

Throughout my expeditions in Jordan, I have stumbled upon some impressive old olive trees. They looked different from the usual olive trees that I always see in the Middle East in general, and in Jordan specifically. These trees have huge trunks that look like roots curved in a beautiful mesmerizing shape. These trees are Roman olive trees. Some historians believe that they date back to when Constantine was the Roman emperor. Researchers say that it is difficult to know exactly how old the trees are, but some range from 600 to over 1500 years old. What matters more than knowing how old they are is to take action to preserve these trees from logging, as well as the culture and products that go hand in hand with the trees. Roman olive trees produce one of the best and highest quality olive oil in the world with a very rich flavor. The harvesting season is the best time to visit these villages, have lunch in one of the local guest houses after a hike, and to enjoy the delicious food which is always cooked with lots of olive oil and love. Tourists from different parts of the world travel to have the villagers’ experience, which consists of learning how to cook Arabic food, watch how they make olive oil soap, Arabic calligraphy, harvesting and pickling olives and many more activities that the local community can offer.

I believe that shedding light on such examples of history to preserve it along with its culture and related activities are vital for humanity and our next generations. Human beings need to reconnect with nature and what it has to offer for mental health, equanimity and stability.

All these pictures are from an area in the north of Jordan, called Wadi Al Rayyan or Wadi Al Yabes. These are an hour and a half drive from Amman, the capital of Jordan. This trek in the summer is dry, but after a good rainy season the hikers can enjoy this valley with a running fresh cold water stream. This is one of my favorite places, which I love to go and hike in, for the vegetation and serenity you find in this valley. Not to mention the museum of Roman olive trees that you pass by during the trek.

Majestic Roman Olive Trees 1Majestic Roman Olive Trees 1Majestic Roman Olive Trees 2Majestic Roman Olive Trees 2Wadi al Rayyan trail 1Wadi al Rayyan trail 122Wadi Al Rayyan Water StreamWadi Al Rayyan Water StreamMajestic Roman Olive Trees 3Majestic Roman Olive Trees 3Majestic Roman Olive Trees 4Majestic Roman Olive Trees 4

TazJar
Ajloun, Jordan
2 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Roman Olive Trees in Jordan

Hi @TazJar,

Thank you for sharing with us.

Just wanted to let you know that I will remove the Arabic language label from your post, because you are writing in English.

You are more than welcome to write in Arabic, or any other language, as you know, all languages are welcome on Connect. You can find posts in a particular language here: How do I find posts in my preferred language?.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator . Thank you!
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Roman Olive Trees in Jordan

OMG!!! Thank you for shedding light on this marvelous treasure!!! Many people in Jordan don't know about them!

My father is from Ajloun but I was born in Amman. We used to go to Ajloun every weekend and I can never forget these marvelous ,ancient majestic trees. I believe there are many of them scattered around Ajloun. I've been living abroad for a few years now and what I miss the most about Jordan is olive trees!