IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Let's Map Underwater 📸

Let's Map Underwater concept was initiated to capture the beauty of marine life, in a responsible manner without damaging them and share the beauty with people who have similar interests.

Ilankovan, Isuranga and Thusitha - excited to go snorkelingIlankovan, Isuranga and Thusitha - excited to go snorkeling
In Sri Lanka, there are many coral reef patches but travelers cannot find much photos and videos of those places. Taking this into mind, I decided to come up with this concept. every year there are many tourists visiting Sri Lanka and I'm sure this photo coverage will help them get more idea about these hidden treasures.

Snorkeling mode :)Snorkeling mode 🙂Hard coral colony at Kayankerney reef, Sri LankaHard coral colony at Kayankerney reef, Sri Lanka
Initially, I was planning to have this meetup in Trincomalee Pigeon Island and later on, I changed this to Kayankerney coral reef.
Fellow local guide @IsurangaD  joined me Saturday morning from my home and at that time, he didn't have any underwater camera so I gave him a waterproof phone case and he was bit scared to use this and first, he did a test on a bucket of water and after that, he said it will be okay 🙂

Isuranga was checking the underwater phone casingIsuranga was checking the underwater phone casing
My brother who like to join Local guides activities, also joined us, with that another local guide Thusitha joined us.
I have already booked a boat, and we all went to the reef. Yes, with all the safety measures. Since Thusitha had a wound in his leg, he skipped the snorkeling session and he enjoyed taking photos from the shore side, we could see him taking many nice portraits of nature. Also, we saw a dead sea snake in the shore side and the boatman said it might've got injured by the fishing net.

Ready to go snorkelingReady to go snorkelingKayankerni BeachKayankerni Beach 
We three went to the reef and started exploring the hidden treasures of nature. Isuranga, has even forgot to remove his hat and came snorkeling with his hat 😛 Then, our fun started and dispersed in each direction, I could capture a lot of underwater photographs with my GoPro camera and Kandeepa also did the same. I went little deep to the reef and explored giant corals. this is the first snorkeling experience for isurnaga and from the sea to shore he was so excited and a bit scared.

Kayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reefPeople snorkeling around the reefPeople snorkeling around the reefKayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reefKayankerni coral reef
 From one side to the other, we were calling each other saying "here there are more fish come this side" "hey here there are more colorful corals come to this side" likewise we had lot of fun and I'm sure you will like the below video. we saw Angle fish, Clown Fish, Goby Fish, Wrass Fish & Bannerfish and several other species from this reef.

Finally, we have uploaded the photographs to google maps 🙂 earlier there were only a few photos and not many 🙂
Meetup got extended more than our expected time since our participants didn't like to come out of the water. yes, I was also the same.
This is one of my coolest meetups and first underwater meetup. I've also hosted another underwater meetup following this, you can check the meetup link here. I like doing adventurous things with google maps which can help people to get more idea about places that they haven't visited. I'm sure this underwater meet up will definitely help people who have similar interest.

More photos please check this album

Kayankerni, Sri Lanka
14 comments
Level 9

Re: [RECAP] Let's Map Underwater 📸

Thank you very much @IlankovanT for your perfect post.

I injoy watching your photos of coral reef.

Indeed, it is very serious problem -if coral reefs will be disappear,there is no marine life.  Coral reef -is home for millions of fish,sea cteatures.Thank you for your video.,I have never seen such beautiful underwater video, it is cool!!!  THANK YOU very much!

The Meet Up was cool and perfect!

My congratulations!

Best wishes,

Inga

Level 9

P.S.

@IlankovanT  taking the opportunity I would like to exptess my condolences on tragedy in Sri Lanka.

Level 7

This is incredible @IlankovanT keep up the good job!

ALX Learner ǀ Entrepreneurship ǀ Innovations ǀ Social Impact
Connect Moderator

Hello @IlankovanT 

Every time you surprise me with a very new activity, infact I love what you did. I mean underwater photography, even I can't swim, but still I love it.

You did an amazing work, mapping and taking pictures underwater and than uploading on Google maps, that's a great new idea.

Thank you so much for Sharing such a wonderful recap.

Shukriya 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9

Thank you @KashifMisidia@helga19@iamireku for your kind words.

I'm planning to host a scuba diving underwater meetup next month. you can check my first Shipwreck meetup here 🙂

Level 7

Wow. What a good job done @IlankovanT Keep it up. 

Former Google Contributor

Viite: [RECAP] Let's Map Underwater 📸

@IlankovanT Beautiful photos and such a wonderful place! Thank you for sharing! Is there an initiative for keeping the beach and sea clean? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Thank you @ambassadormichael 🙂

Level 9

Viite: [RECAP] Let's Map Underwater 📸

Thank you @DanniS, this particular beach is not done by Local Guides and this is well maintained by the local business people. this area is famous for tourism and they always keep this clean 🙂 I couldn't find any plastics in this beach,