AradhanaB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Our Durga Puja adventure in Kolkata

Each year in India, people come together for Durga Puja, a festival commemorating Goddess Durga’s victory over the demon Mahishasura. Celebrations take many forms across the country, but it’s an especially joyous occasion in Kolkata.

That’s why, in September, a group of Local Guides (@amitabh, @anuj @Joy, @ReshamDas, @AveekM and @GautamC) gathered there to explore the festivities. We filmed this meet-up for a video that’s coming soon — but in the meantime, we wanted to share some photos from our adventure.

We started our exploration by visiting Kumartuli, where every worshiper comes to take home an idol of the goddess. For months, the artisans here had been creating idols to meet the city’s demand.

Caption: Durga idols being handpaintedCaption: Durga idols being handpainted

On Day 2, Local Guides went pandal hopping. We explored the lanes of Behala, then hosted a livestream from the pandal at Barisha Club.  

Caption: Livestream from Barisha ClubCaption: Livestream from Barisha Club

Caption: Pandal featuring a giant chair made of smaller chairsCaption: Pandal featuring a giant chair made of smaller chairs

On Day 3, we saw some of Kolkata’s most famous pandals: Deshapriya Park and Maddox Square Park. Both attract the thousands of worshippers throughout the day and night.

Caption: Pandal at Maddox Square ParkCaption: Pandal at Maddox Square Park

It’s important to stay fed and hydrated when you’re exploring the pandals. Luckily, there are food stalls all around. We visited one for puchka.

Caption: Local Guides indulging in puchkaCaption: Local Guides indulging in puchkaOn the final day of our exploration, we went to a pandal with a very unique theme: Badamtala Durga Puja was recreating Brooklyn in Kolkata. The Local Guides hosted a livestream to show everyone the chaos and celebration, along with some dance and music.

Caption: Brooklyn-themed pandal in KolkataCaption: Brooklyn-themed pandal in Kolkata

We all had a great time exploring Durga Puja in Kolkata! Watch for the video soon on our YouTube channel, and tell us about your own festival season adventures in the comments.

India
33 comments
Level 9

Re: Our Durga Puja adventure in Kolkata

@AradhanaB

Wao nice. I hope you had a great time in Kolkata. Also thank you for sharing with us. Waiting for your next visit in Delhi with something special like this.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 9

@AradhanaB Great to see the photos. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Level 8

Thank you for sharing.

I learnt a new vocabulary - Pandal.

Connect Moderator

Wow @AradhanaB thanks for sharing with us.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 5

Very well covered especially the Durga Puja event in Kolkatta.

Level 9

@AradhanaB Thanks for sharing exp and pics, it brings back great memories from the City of Joy!! Thanks again for sharing.. 🙂

Level 9

@AradhanaBnice festival photos with details information.

Hope to come in kolkata in next year pooja.

Level 8

Wow 👏👏👏 @AradhanaB

interesting. I watched the live stream by official Local Guides. I‘ll keep an eye on the upcoming Youtube video. 😀

Thanks

Level 9

thanks for sharing @AradhanaB ;)))