Re: New perk: Google Play for Local Guides Level 4+

I'm in Tehran. @arbeit2018

ehsang
Level 5

Re: What benefits as google local guide

@Rai02 wrote:

Hey

can anyone tell me what are benefits as google local guide on google map 

Du bekommst z.B. 3 Monate gratis (ab einem höheren Level Ude.) music zu hören..,

Connect Moderator

Re: Regarding resumption of perks

Hi @Swamynaidu if you read upwards in this thread you would find a problem solving answer from @TraciC 

Level 5

Hi, I've been a local guide user for a while now, last year i got the level 5 perk (1To of google drive storage). i also got the 4 month free subcription to google play from black friday last year.

I guess that I cant get anything this year, is that it? why is that?

Shouldn't you make perks for everyone who contributed?

I dont know, a coupon for the play store, for movies, for books, storage or music for everyone who got the level and not just for some specific people.

I know that, for me, it took a lot of time to get to that level and I was hoping to get rewarded for it, in the end my contrbution is making your site a better place. but aparently Google is more concerned about have new custumer rather that keeping the ones they have...

Level 8

I have received absolutely nothing besides knowing that people who go to our city have a better chance of enjoying themselves and will spend less time being lost. Google might not always give something but I'm sure they spend a ton on that summit(airfare and hotel expenses can seriously add-up). If I can choose between a ton of small prizes and a single life-changing one I will choose the latter and I am thankful to google for giving this chance to everyone regardless if they make money in that country or not(seriously nobody pays for any online services where I live so who am I to ask them to throw our area prizes). Keep exploring!

Connect Moderator

Yes @MichaelHan the Summit would be expensive. If we conservatively put it at $5K per person then the Summit is $750K just for visas, airfares and hotel without all the things that the team also puts on for the event, the other expenses and the time of the team probably push the cost well over $1M. This platform would also be expensive as it's not a Google property. This is Lithium a commercial social platform.

@Mr14A yes we make Maps better and yes this advantages Google, but it also advantages us - the Maps user by the platform being better and more accurate. My first port of call when looking for a business is Maps. When I'm looking for photo opportunities it's Street View and photospheres in Maps. My efforts to make Maps better are just a bit of payback for all the people who made it better for me.

Regards

Paul

Level 5

@PaulPavlinovich so you are telling me that ou would give your time for free for any app/wesite/company that needs it ?
I mean today, nothing is free and I would love to have and give everyting for free but it just isn't viable. I personaly give feed back to devs, participate in translations, help on maps, ... I would like some compensation for helping a company that could very well give out stuff that would make me want to help them more and more.

Instead they make conditions to make thoses perks only avaliable to as few people as possible and the people who realy help the platform grow don't get anything. I don't think that I'm asking for a lot from them. Any little perk avaliable for eveyone would do. I just want them to recognize the work we put into helping them improve

Connect Moderator

@Mr14A as it happens I do things for lots of organisations for free. I give thousands of hours every year to a youth movement. I work on a local steam railway (which has a multi million dollar income) for nothing. I moderate a number of communities - some for me, and some on behalf of an organisation. I also run a photowalk group which started with three friends and now has nearly 17,000 members and we do things once or twice every month and I organise most of them. That's who I am and my thinking around Maps is the same. I don't care about the companies, I care about me and doing the right thing about other people. In this case Google give me so many services for free I'm happy to contribute to their ecosystem. Similar with the railway, they preserve steam operations and give me someplace to play.

Perks are just that, perks. The 1tb of drive storage is worth $8 per month. If I added up the time I've spent I reckon it's worth just a little more than that. I like to think that my positive friendly attitude is the main reason I've been picked twice to go to the Summit. The people in the LG team works their arses off looking after us and lining up new perks around the world.

I suppose you've got a choice, you can accept things the way they are or not. Only you can do that. 

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovich what is you idea if take place summit other then USA

In future

Connect Moderator

I don't know @HusanAzim they might move around, other Google Summits like Top Contributor move around, they have regional summits and the big one in America.

@HusanAzim wrote:

@PaulPavlinovich what is you idea if take place summit other then USA

In future