Trail_blazer's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

New Updates in Google Maps

GIF_20240303_105207_326.gif

Hello everyone here are some of the new features rolled out recently. Some of these are already covered by our fellow guides but here is little more detailed version of it. You can add your valuable comments below this post.

The "Suggest an Edit" feature for Points of Interest (POIs) has been revamped with a new layout. Upon tapping "Suggest an edit," a bottom pop-up menu presents 7 areas for editing. You can select the relevant tab to suggest an edit. Notably, you can easily add additional information by tapping the top tabs, ensuring accuracy. Tabs can be deselected to declutter the interface. Reviewing and modifying POI details is streamlined by tapping the top tabs. After making edits, simply tap the submit button.

Screenshot_20240227_124150.jpg

Further enhancements are evident in the "Closed" or "Not here" section, categorized under the operating status. Here, users can choose from 8 concise and accurate options, simplifying the editing process compared to previous versions. While it may require a few extra taps, the improved organization benefits both newcomers and experienced editors. Share your thoughts in the comment section. For context, these features are accessed in India using the latest version of Google Maps on Android.

Screenshot_20240227_124114.jpg

Additional thing one may notice is that there is checkbox which says Don't know but this is incorrect. (Now such of your suggestions will be counted towards your contributions and will be reflected in your profile points). This will strike out the old information and mark it for reviewing and post approval the LG will get it's count and however point reward remains unclear as of now.

Screenshot_20240302_172558.jpg

Screenshot_20240302_214032.jpg

Glanceable navigation is a feature on some navigation apps that allows you to see essential information, such as your next turn and estimated arrival time (ETA), without having to unlock your phone and open the app. This can be helpful for keeping your eyes on the road while driving or for avoiding distractions while walking or cycling.

Screenshot_20240303_104955.jpg

Here are some benefits of using glanceable navigation:

* Improved safety: By keeping your eyes on the road, you can reduce the risk of accidents.

* Reduced distraction: You don't have to fiddle with your phone to check directions.

* Battery conservation: Glanceable navigation uses less battery power than traditional navigation, as the app is not running in the foreground.

If you use Google Maps, you can enable glanceable directions by following these steps:

* Open Google Maps and tap your profile picture in the top right corner.

* Tap "Settings" and then "Navigation settings."

* Toggle on "Glanceable directions while navigating."

20 comments
Level 7

Re: New Updates in Google Maps

Hi @Trail_blazer: Did you also try out the "extended instructions while walking"? I consider this also as a new update. cfr. https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/extended-instructions-while-walking/td-p/37... but you for sure can describe it more efficiently than I can do.

If you want to help me in making Google services more accessible and more inclusive, you can also contribute to #GoogleCrowdsource https://crowdsource.google.com

Thanks in advance for your help.
Level 10

Thanks for highlighting these changes, @Trail_blazer. I've been meaning to test out the glanceable directions, but forgot to turn it on. Do you have any examples of when it's most useful? Screenshots? 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

@JustJake right before this post I was driving but sadly I forget to put navigation 😬 though option was already turned on. Anyways will post soon. 🤟🏻

Level 10

@KattyGeltmeyer I read the post you mentioned it definitely looks like an update for differently abled. But here in India it's named Detailed Voice Guidance (Hear more frequent and detailed audio announcement  during walking navigation)

but I'm little surprised how this is named differently everywhere. I don't travel a lot via navigation and whenever I do I turn off the voice commands however that's personal choice but here in India or south Asia people are very buff about voice searches. They use it all the time. By the way you described it same as the description I read here. I will check it out. Google maps will produce stunning maps with data it getting it day by day and with AI implementation we will see lots of changes in future. By the way I did notice this option but like I said I ride 2 wheeler and hardly use navigation for walking I for sometimes but mostly for testing purposes. Thanks for you comment and highlighting your post. 

Level 10

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing that info @Trail_blazer - with that screenshot showing the "Do not now, but this is incorrect" checkbox you most likely have uncovered the mystery behind the new "Reported incorrectly" type of edits.

And as the screenshot shows an example of a category (I am assuming similar screens will be available for other types of data points), I'm pretty sure that @MortenCopenhagen is also hoping (as I am) that those POIs with "incorrect category" flags will then be presented/made available to other LGs for correction.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

@JanVanHaver I tried finding the reward points for incorrect reporting but couldn't find it. Well the best I can guess is, it should fetch 1 point 👀 I have been doing lots of mapping and it's hard for me to pin the points for which are which otherwise would have known it practically. 

Connect Moderator

Hi @JanVanHaver 

I tried:

1000018698.png

It feels odd not fixing problems but just flagging them.

So far no uptick in my contribution stats page.

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver 

Here is a link to the place should you want to look for pop-ups related to this.

Also, note the grey dot in the screenshot.

Cheers

Morten