InnocensiaO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Nairobi Landmarks- August 7th Memorial Park

This is a memorial park that commemorates the 1998 bombing of the U.S Embassy in Nairobi where 218 people perished. The park also has a visitor center that doubles as a memorial peace museum which preserves the happenings of that day through the documentation of photos, videos and survivor stories.

I vividly remember this day as I was 9 years old and we had just closed school for the August holidays. I remember hearing a loud bang and seeing smoke emerging from the Nairobi Central Business District area which was about 7 kilometers from where we stayed.

The creation of the park was a collaborative effort of the Government of Kenya, Government of the United States of America, individuals, institutions and associations inside and outside Kenya.

Today, the park offers a space for relaxing , reflection and peace advocacy for its visitors everyday day of the year. The grounds are also usually rented out for various events. A fee of Kshs. 30 ($0.30) is usually charged to access the park and Kshs. 100($1) for entering the Memorial Peace Museum. These fees go towards maintenance of the park.

Memorial Peace  MuseumMemorial Peace MuseumAugust 7th Memorial ParkAugust 7th Memorial ParkIMG_5383.JPGWall of NmaesWall of NmaesMemorial GardensMemorial GardensMemorial Peace  MuseumMemorial Peace Museum

Nairobi, Kenya
6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Nairobi Landmarks- August 7th Memorial Park

Hey @InnocensiaO,

Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed reading about this remarkable way of spreading the message of peace. I remember that day and when it was announced. I will for sure make a point of visiting the memorial park, on my next trip. Do you get the chance to visit often? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

@AlexaAC  please do visit the next time you are in the city. 

The park is just a block away from my office so I go to the garden often to relax and decompress during my lunch break. It offers serenity as it is located in one of the busiest parts of the Nairobi CBD. 

Former Google Contributor

Excellent @InnocensiaO!

Sounds amazing, thanks again for sharing! 🙂 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

@AlexaAC  Welcome. 

Thanks for taking the time to read. 

Level 8

Great Post @InnocensiaO   I remember the bombing because the bombing in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam happened simultaneously although here in Dar es Salaam there were less fatalities. Sadly the Embassy here in Tanzania was moved to another location and the building was renovated and changed to KCB Main branch but some of the remains of the ambassadors Jeep and the bullet proof windows were salvaged and kept on display at the national Museum. I was actually planning on visiting the museum next weekend so it can be a good follow-up post from your East African counterpart 🙂

Level 10

@Tula thank you. Yeah I remember it was twin bombing in Dar and Nairobi. 

Can’t wait to read about the follow up post.