LuisHM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

My experience as a Local Guide

Copia de Local Guides Community Profile Picture Template (blue).jpg

Hi everyone! My name is Luis Hernandez, I’m 24 years old, originally from Querétaro, Mexico.

My experience in the Local Guides program started a little more than a year ago. When while working, I had the chance to spend most of my time touring the city from one place to another doing different tasks. I always use Google Maps to find places where I have to go, such as dropping off documentations or other assignments that I have.When I found references from known places, I wondered why some did exist and others did not. Then I found on the Internet that there was a way to add places to the map. Google also supports voice commands and it supports other apps that are installed on your phone. When I am driving on the road, I do not have to touch my phone in order to tell Google where I need to go. I simply dictate where and Google Maps will find the best route for me. It’s a very nice and safe feature to have. And with that, all I really need is Google to take me from one place to another to complete my daily activities and tasks.

That’s how I decided to add all the places I visited I rated them and tried to provide a useful review and insights for those who wanted to go visit it could learn more about it. Unfortunately, my desire to help others was limited due to the fact that I could only provide review and answer questions that Google Maps asked me.  Over time I realized that having a visual reference of the place was more important when it comes to making a decision of whether or not one would visit that particular establishment. From then, I started using my phone’s camera to take pictures as a way to contribute.

I decided to plan trips with my girlfriend to different parts of the world. We guided ourselves using the images from Google Maps since it gives us a better illustration of those places than Street View. And I realized the significance of those images that other Local Guides provided. Those images helped us to decide which places that we would be visiting and I believe that other people can also benefit from my contributions as reference images. This is when I decided that I will also be contributing more to Google as a Local Guide Photographer. I also wanted to provide a greater insight of the places that I visit to people who have never visited before.  At that time I wanted everyone to know my city. I believed that a normal photo was not the best option since others could not see beyond what a flat image could show. I considered applying for the 360º camera loan program but unfortunately this program was not available for my country. This didn’t stop me and I decided to buy my own 360º camera. It was a difficult decision because the camera was very expensive and it was not something that I could afford. After a few weeks of taking some 360º photographs, I imagined myself being old and wanting to visit places but unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to because it would be difficult for me to walk and not wanting to be a burden for my family having to take me on a wheelchair to a tour. I realized 360º images could help old people to revive moments that lived visiting certain places or knowing new thanks to the VR technology. I would really have loved that my grandparents, who rest in peace, relived moments of the places that they loved, a truly beautiful experience. This would also apply to people with any disabilities or who simply want to know places making them feel like they are right there.San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato.San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato.

Some time later I was able to get a Reflex camera to significantly improve the quality of the photos I contributed with. Besides that I can have many memories of the places I’ve been able to visit and compare them in the future on how they have changed over time. I’m not an expert taking photos but I’ve learned new things and understood one of the most valuable lessons of this program, it doesn’t matter how many contributions you have but it does matter the quality of the contributions you make, quality over quantity. I also discovered that one of the biggest rewards of the Local Guides program was being able to get to know your city, your state, your country and love it every day. Understanding why we love it and why we are proud of its roots, transmitting that feeling through photographs and experiences with Local Guides around the world.

I feel Local Guides program has given me the opportunity to represent not only my city but my country when it comes to sharing experiences and other things that I like with Local Guides around the world. I believe that one of the fundamental things of this program is not to contribute desperately to obtain a prize, but it is the perseverance of each Local Guide on its contributions since with the passage of days, weeks and months, everyone obtains pleasant experiences. Thanks to this forum we have the opportunity to share them, in addition to that, we learn to continue innovating by contributing not only to the program but to help our community.

My Community: Querétaro Local Guides Community

My application video: https://youtu.be/VgRfSpLJKY0

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides
Santiago de Querétaro, México
10 comments
Level 10

Re: My experience as a Local Guide

As i told you in the other post... 🙂 nice presentation, and lovely little planet @LuisHM!

Hope to meet you!

Level 8

Thanks @LucioV Somehow, my other post got deleted 😞

I also hope we meet at summit

Level 7

@LuisHM

Awesome post! Very detailed info and good answers. GOOD LUCK.

Level 8

Thanks @Thray!

Level 9

Wish you WIN the change to go the headquarter!!!Cause your writing is wonderful,you have a very good wish to be a local guide and a person who good to  his country. very honestly. send my best regard.

Good Luck~

fanfan

Level 10

@LuisHM Nice introduction and I like the video. Best of Luck!

Level 8

Thanks @YuChenC I hope to get the chance to meet you at San Francisco! 🙂

Level 8

Thanks @AnuradhaP I hope to meet at Summit

Level 9

@LuisHM nice post and I love this beautiful tiny planet. really it looks so beautiful 🙂