Ivana-C's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

My Local Guides Experience

I have always loved stories. When I was a little girl, my dad used to read me books every night that I had stacked high into towers. I realized later on in my life that stories could be told with more than just words. The words had always woven tapestries in my mind, but pictures helped them come to life. Photographs capture every aspect of life. Blowing out the candle of a birthday cake. Crossing the finish line at a track meet. The day he finally decides to propose. I believe photos should encapsulate the special moments in life. A living, breathing moment. 

IMG_6911.jpgIMG_6820.jpgIMG_7091.jpg

I am an avid documenter in every way. I write my journal daily and never leave home without my camera. The summer after my freshman year in college, I finally took the plunge and invested in my first DSLR, just in time for my study abroad trip to Spain. In Spain, my lens greedily absorbed the landscapes, culinary delights, and scenes of city life. When I was younger, I never thought I'd be able to travel the world. It felt like a faraway wish just out of my reach. I grew up in a family with four kids, 7 years apart in total. I always had a wanderlust of adventure though, and used my little digital camera to capture it all. All through school, I was the girl who documented everything, carrying my camera with me to school. My parents, as Malaysian and Taiwanese immigrants, taught me the importance of hard work and pursuing education as an avenue to a better life. I followed their advice and eventually earned a full ride to college at Indiana University. I loved my experience and it opened the doors for me to take more trips and document more adventures. 

Indiana University is also where my first exposure to Google Maps contribution began. My friend, Steven (who is now my husband), invited me to attend a "Google Maps event" where we would map out the university, add in places that didn't exist before, and edit existing listings. I remember the room filled with 20-30 college students, sitting at tables with Google swag ready to have a Maps working session. It was so fun, and possible the beginning of future marriage to boot 😉

266747_10150719919910858_3432733_o.jpg328048_10150837333205858_333609142_o.jpg

One of the reasons I loved taking photos is the joy in sharing them. The story behind the image and the joy it brought people to experience what I had seen. I love that photos and stories forge human connections. When I joined the Local Guides program, I saw it as an amazing outlet for the many photos and experiences I had already curated throughout my life. This time -- with an audience at scale and instant engagement at my fingertips. 

Each new milestone I hit felt amazing. It's a way of using the photos I have and experiences to actually help other people and inform them as they travel and take on new adventures they never have had before. The chance to help someone make a restaurant decision traveling from across the world is phenomenal and so exciting.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.20.10 AM.png

I recently got married and moved to Chicago. I've enjoyed getting plugged into the Local Guides community here and helping new visitors have richer experiences when visiting! It's fun sharing all my favorite places to eat and visit in the city. I hope to set up meet-ups soon to explore the many neighborhoods of Chicago. I'm incredibly grateful for the experience of using Local Guides and getting to contribute to a community greater than my own!

7 comments
Level 8

Re: My Local Guides Experience

It is amazing record and good introduction. ^^

Level 10

@Ivana-C You are a story teller. 

Level 8

It was great, exciting life story, @Ivana-C!

You have a cute son. how old is he? Mine is only 2 months 🙂

Level 9

Awesome story @Ivana-C, nicely told. Loved the pictures you posted!

Level 10

@Ivana-C Lucky for me that i can read your story and watching the photos with your unique point of view.

Regards

Budi

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.
Level 7

I actually don't have a son! That baby is one that I photographed - he sure is cute though 🙂

Level 8

Like a block bluster Movie!