AvelManansala's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

My Journey as a Local Guide - Level 10 (Philippines)

Hi! I am Avel Manansala, from General Santos City, Island of Mindanao, Philippines. Gensan (as it is called) is considered the Tuna Capital of the Philippines, being host of the country's 6 of 7 of its largest tuna canneries. It lies within the region of SoCCSKSarGen. Me, at the Gensan Fishport Complex. Beside me is a Giant Yellowfin Tuna being carried from a fishing boat to the Auction Market.Me, at the Gensan Fishport Complex. Beside me is a Giant Yellowfin Tuna being carried from a fishing boat to the Auction Market.

Before I became a Local Guide, I have been an active user of Map Maker since 2009 when the group of bloggers, the Sox Bloggers, that I co-founded and head (until today) conducted a MapUp (which we used to call a Mapping Party to entice volunteers to participate). That led on to more MapUps in our region with invitations pouring in from local government units, universities and NGOs. I was invited to talk about our Map Maker Community in the Asia Pacific Geo-Users Summit in Singapore in 2011 and in the ASPAC Google MapMaker Summit in Hyderabad in 2012 and hosted the Google Map Maker Summit Philippines - Mindanao in 2012.

In March 2013, I was assigned as Manager of the Google Business Group in my city. This gave me more reasons to organize GeoWalks and Mapups as part of helping local businesses create or strengthen their online presence.

In 2014, I discovered the Local Guides program and seeing how easier it was to use, I signed up immediately and have not stopped contributing my local knowledge about my home city and region since then. I was driven by my desire to give a positive picture of the island where I live, Mindanao, having had to suffer a poor image for decades now due to armed conflict between the government and insurgents. I felt that with more Local Guides joining in and sharing the best of what our island had to offer, we can actually help improve tourism and the local economy and thus boost a rosier picture. This makes us ambassadors of goodwill in a sense.

So, I started giving orientation talks about the Local Guides Program to business and tourism groups, both from the government & private sectors; schools and universities; Google Communities; women groups; media and blogger groups. I organized small photo walks and food crawls on a regular basis, much of them we shared and promoted on social media.ME DOING A PRESENTATION DURING A TOUIRISM WORKSHOP FOR THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT OF SOUTH COTABATO, PHILIPPINES IN NOVEMBER 2017ME DOING A PRESENTATION DURING A TOUIRISM WORKSHOP FOR THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT OF SOUTH COTABATO, PHILIPPINES IN NOVEMBER 2017

In 2017, Local Guides SoCCSkSarGen or Sox (an acronym of the cities and provinces comprising South Central Mindanao) was recognized as an "unofficial LG community" by Google, the 3rd and last community to be afforded as such in the Philippines. This is testament to our hard work and passion plus commitment for the Local Guides program.

avel photowalk group photo.jpg

The City Legislative Council of the Local Government of General Santos, learning all these, passed an Ordinance recognizing my efforts as a Local Guides & as the only Philippine representative to the Local Guides Summit 2016. I felt that I have gone full circle after this.avel sp commendation.jpg

I have also guested in various television and radio shows in my city, to talk about the work that I and our community are doing and my "trending" posts about my journey as a Local Guide on social media have all gained traction for this program. Currently, I have been embarking on encouraging our community to do more by inputing details and info for sectors of the society with special needs like PWDs, Breast feeding moms, Non-pork eaters or those with dietary restrictions, Pet lovers, among others. 

Me being interviewed on ABS-CBN TV about our "Great Gensan PhotoWalk"Me being interviewed on ABS-CBN TV about our "Great Gensan PhotoWalk"

This month of April 2018, I finally reached Level 10, a long but rewarding adventure that gave me immense fulfilment and brought me to San Francisco twice and back (Local Guides Summit 2016 & 2017) and have given me the realization that in our own small way, through the Local Guides program, we can leave our lasting legacy to the world. Level 10 Profile.jpg

#LetsGuide more!!

General Santos City, South Cotabato, Philippines
44 comments
Level 7

Re: My Journey as a Local Guide - Level 10 (Philippines)

See you soon for more inputs from the google guru...

PHILIPPINE BALD EAGLE
Level 6

Oh wow! Good job po Sir Avel. 🙂 I am new in this community and I am so excited to be more active too.
Someday when I go back to Baguio City I will actively contribute in my own city. As of now, I am in Korea po and
I am doing all my best despite the language barrier.hehe
Anyway , Congratulations po and good job for showing the Philippines' (esp General Santos') real image.
Someday, I will visit that place po and I am sure I won't have a hard time locating places 🙂 (Thanks to the local guides!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I visit your country bro.

Level 9

@AvelManansala keep going on sir may go your journey goes to next level....

Level 8

WOW maka inspire.. im new to this what so called "localguideconnect" and newbie contributor on mapping.. maayo kaau ka bai! KUDOS sa imo..!

Level 2

Hi Avel, Iam Zulfan. Your story are very interesting and inspiring. There are many beautiful place too in Indonesia. But still few people want to give a review and shared their story. I think this #localguide can give me n many people here an easy way to share our story. So that many people will got easier to find a beautiful place here, to find the facility update, n the important think is to have the real picture of the place Thankyou for inspiring us

Level 8

Congrats on reaching Level 10, @AvelManansala.  Hope to see you again at Connect Live in October, after not getting in last year

Level 9

Awesome post @AvelManansala, it was great to meet you last year at 7LGSummit17, would love to meet you again this year at Connect live!

Best of luck with your application.

Level 8

Thanks for the inspiration, Sir @AvelManansala. All your hard work has paid off. Congrats on being a LEVEL 10 Local Guide but more than that, I salute you for all the efforts you've done for your city, GenSan and SocSarGen, in general. Hats off to you! 🙂 I hope we can do that too, in Davao City and the rest of the major cities in Mindanao. Mindanao is such a beautiful paradise - we need to let others see MORE of it ( not only the sights...) but oh well.... experience the hospitality, friendliness and warmness we Pinoys have been known for. Plus of course our food - seafooodssss! Yay!!!! 🙂 Wish you more success in your endeavors!  Pretty new here in the community! See you around, Sir. 🙂