ThatJimRyan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

My City or Change your city

I live in Kew Gardens, New York which is in Queens County, New York City

Why is it that I cannot designate Kew Gardens, NY or even Queens, New York as "My City" but only New York CIty?

I mean, it's not like Queens Creek, Arizona can get its own designation with a population of about 33,000 whereas Queens County (aka The Borough of Queens) has a population of 2.339 million and Kew Gardens has a population of about 23,000.

You cannot even designate Brooklyn, NY as your location and Brooklyn is arguably more famous than:

1. Brooklyn, MS, USA

2. Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

3. Brooklyn Center, MN, USA

4. Brooklyn VIC, Australia

5. Brooklyn, OH, USA

Why is this?

New York, NY, USA
2 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: My City or Change your city

Hi @JimRyan. As a Brooklyn native and resident, I feel your pain, however, as Brooklyn is not technically a city and a borough within New York City, you must select New York City and not your specific town/borough/area as it is a city, so the same applies for Queens. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Googler
Solution

Hi @JimRyan. As a Brooklyn native and resident, I feel your pain, however, as Brooklyn is not technically a city and a borough within New York City, you must select New York City and not your specific town/borough/area as it is a city, so the same applies for Queens. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Hey @TraciC

That's not a "Solution". If it were you could explain why "Brooklyn, MS, USA", a small unincorporated community in southern Forrest County, Mississippi, (according to Wikipedia), is an available location for My City. It's not a City, a Town, a Village, a census designated are or even any sort of recognized geo-politcal division. It doesn't even have it's own zip code, it has a shared zip code.

I already knew what I could do as far as existing choices, my question is/was Why?

Answers could be:

1. Because Google says so...
  2. We're working on it...
  3. Gee, we never thought of that...

As far as Brooklyn, NYC, NY goes, it was once it's own city and is recognizable in so many ways compared to Queens. Interestingly enough, Queens County (also the Borough of Queens) hosts 2 of the busiest Airports in the World, JFK and La Guardia Airports, yet Google in its infinite wisdom lumps it along with Brooklyn into the larger mass of NYC.

And, for the record, I have no pain that needs to be shared (that must be a Brooklyn thing!?)

Be well!