DrFoodieOfficial's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Malpura: The Sweetest Treat from the Indian Subcontinent

Frying process of Malpura OR Malpua (Photo by @KashifMisidia)Frying process of Malpura OR Malpua (Photo by @KashifMisidia)

Maal Pura or Malpua is a sweet dish that has gained immense popularity in Karachi, particularly during the holy month of Ramadan. This dessert is a favorite among the Gujarati and Memon communities of Karachi, who have a fondness for traditional Gujarati sweets. Maal Pura is a deep-fried dish made by stuffing sweetened khoya and dry fruits into a dough made from all-purpose flour.

The origins of Maal Pura can be traced back to Gujarat India , Suleman Mithai Wala Mumbai and after Pakistan there was the area of Kharadar, a historic neighborhood in Karachi. This dish gained popularity after the migration of people from India, particularly the Gujarati communities like Bohra, AgaKhani, Godhra, Khatri, and mainly Memon community. After the partition of British India in 1947 and the formation of Pakistan, a significant number of Gujratis and Memons migrated to Pakistan, mainly to the port city of Karachi. The Muslim ethnic group called the Memons originated from the small towns and villages situated in the Kutch, Gujarat, and Kathiawar regions of India.

Today, Maal Pura is a favorite dessert among the people of Karachi, and one of the best places to try it is at M-Suleman Mithai wala. This sweet shop is renowned for its exceptional Maal Pura and has been in business for over 100 years. The shop has two branches, one of which is located in the old area of Karachi, Kharadar, and the second branch is situated in the Hussainabad Food Street.

Here is my Google Maps review about M. Suleman Mithai Wala

In Karachi, the best combination for Maal Pura is with Malai, a creamy, thick milk-based dessert made from khoya and Rabbri . This combination adds a delightful and rich flavor to the dish, making it even more irresistible.

Previously, it was rare to see Maalpura in any other areas except Memon and Gujrati areas. However, now, in many parts of the city, you can see many stalls where the seller cooks live Maal Pura in a big Karhai filled with oil, and then serves it with Rabri Malai.

Making of Malpura/MalpuaMaking of Malpura/Malpua

Recipe Of MalPura :

Here's the recipe of MalPura

Ingredients:

1.5 cups all-purpose flour

6 tbsp sugar

1 egg

1/2 kg milk

pinch of yellow food colour

desi ghee as required

malai ingredients:

1/2 litre milk

50 gms khoya

2 cardamom

6 tbsp condensed milk

few drops kewra

nuts for garnish

Cooking Instructions:

Mix together all-purpose flour, sugar, milk, and yellow food colour in a bowl to remove lumps.

Add one beaten egg and mix well. Don't worry about the consistency of the batter, it should be quite runny.

Cover the batter and let it rest in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours until it thickens.

Heat a non-stick pan and add desi ghee. Pour the malpura mixture using a deep spoon and add more ghee from the corner of the malpura.

Flip the malpura when one side is done and cook the other side using the same method.

While the malpura is cooking, make the malai on the next stove to save time.

In a heavy-bottomed and deep skillet, add 1/2 liter of milk over medium-high heat. Add khoya and cardamom.

Cook and stir the mixture with a spatula, then add condensed milk and mix well. Turn the flame to low.

Cook the mixture until it turns into a creamy thick texture, being careful not to over-thicken it. It will become even thicker once it cools.

Add a few drops of kewra, mix, and remove from heat.

Spread malai on the prepared malpura and garnish with nuts.

Malpura is ready eat at different food stallsMalpura is ready eat at different food stalls

Malpura with MalaiMalpura with Malai

Malpura with other Iftar Food Items at my home's dining tableMalpura with other Iftar Food Items at my home's dining table

Maal Pura is a delicious and popular sweet dish that has become a part of Karachi's culinary landscape. Its origins can be traced back to the Gujarati and Memon communities, who have a deep fondness for traditional sweets. Whether you're a local or a visitor to the city, a bite of Maal Pura is a must-try. So, next time you're in Karachi, be sure to indulge in this sweet delicacy and experience the rich and satisfying flavors it has to offer.

Dr. Foodie Official
Karachi, Pakistan
39 comments
Level 10

Re: Malpura: The Sweetest Treat from the Indian Subcontinent

@DrFoodieOfficial Looking good and nice post.

SANJAY KUMAR DATTA
Level 10

Hello, very dear @DrFoodieOfficial ,

The details about Maal Pura is interesting, for sure.

The recipe is also elaborate - my family is purely vegetarian and we don't even use eggs - so the enjoyment is limited.

I read another blog in Google where even egg was avoided.

Thank you very much for sharing these details.

Best regards, dear...

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

@DrFoodieOfficial 

So sweet just tempting in my mouth this is one of my favorite dishes. I will try this recipe for sure and share a pic here.

Regards Tejal

Level 7

Wow! I love this 💕, a simple recipe to try at home... I will try the recipe, so what's the name of this two ingredients, khoya and kewre... Am sure with a complete recipe for my family will enjoy it. thanks for sharing @DrFoodieOfficial , 💕🙏.

Level 8

@DrFoodieOfficial - Great. Very detailed and informative.

Level 8

Impresionante post!!! @DrFoodieOfficial realmente se ve fabuloso!

Level 5

Malpura is my favourite dish during whole Ramdhan, not only me but the whole family love it. 

Thank you for sharing @DrFoodieOfficial 

Level 8

Thank you for sharing amazing facts. ❤️

Level 8

It is one of my favorite desert. Nowadays, here in India, we can get it at any wedding ceremony. I love to eat with Rabdi. Its really yummy. At Mohammad Ali Road in Mumbai, the Noorani Milk and Sweets and Modern Sweets and Confectionary are the best places where you can get the best Malpua in Mumbai. Thanks for sharing the recipe for Malpua. I will try for sure soon and share it here. 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel