Kahnster's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Madre de Deus Church

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit this architectural brilliance, The parish of Vettukad, more popularly known as “Madre-de-Deus Church” which bears a history of more than five centuries. 🕍 ✝️🆓

PXL_20211208_072541848_edited.jpg

Front view!

PXL_20211208_081237173_edited.jpg

Sideway entrance!

PXL_20211208_073301134_edited.jpg

Stairs to the church!

PXL_20211208_081608792_edited.jpg

The interiors are one of the attractions of this church.

Built in wooden carvings, church possesses some of the most impressive works of art we have in the state.
The ceiling resembles some of the memories of Christianity, which can be interpreted as a masterpiece of architectural art. 📽🎥📸📹🎤📢🥁🎻🎺

PXL_20211208_074959769_edited.jpg

Have a look at the interior!

PXL_20211208_074510509_edited.jpg

 You can clearly, see the beach from this entrance!

PXL_20211208_074302712_edited.jpg

The parish hall!

PXL_20211208_075250184_edited.jpg

This is where the priest conducts the mass!

PXL_20211208_075411100_edited.jpg

A beautiful wall-painting!

When you enter the parish, despite the humidity, it goes without saying you can expect more than a light zephyr due to the wooden ceiling I guess. 🤳👑🏖

PXL_20211208_075143332_edited.jpg

PXL_20211208_075552145_edited.jpg

Madre De Deus parish has built a new Cemetery Vault, which has a capacity of 100 plus coffeines.

People from all parts of Kerala and outside, irrespective of caste and creed come to the church seeking the blessings.

They've recently concluded their marquee event 'Christ the King' with a ceremonial parade of the statue and a some local events grace up the occasion. 🎇🎆🎉

It's a regional holiday on the last day of this event.

Unfortunately, no wheelchair accessibility and we need to make sure we don't litter! It's a collective responsibility. 

PXL_20211208_073618816_edited.jpg

Another spectacular view!

PXL_20211208_075813177_edited.jpg

One of the other facade!

PXL_20211208_080447110_edited.jpg

This is the beach nearby, The Vettucaud Beach!

PXL_20211208_080724657_edited.jpg

 A sweet seller near the church!

Do you guys have a similar place of this long tradition? Please share the names.

Locate the place in Maps:

Christ the King Church 

Vettukad, Kerala, India
10 comments
Level 9

Madre-de-Deus Church India

Here’s the link to this place:

Christ the King Church 

Connect Moderator

Re: Madre de Deus Church

Hi @Kahnster 

Thanks for sharing your post!

I just want to let you know that i just moved your duplicate post in your existing post. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Thank you for moving it under my post @NareshDarji 

Posting from the mobile device is a task itself! phew, Apologies. 

I have edited the content 

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Kahnster,

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos with us, was this your first visit there?

Is this a famous destination among locals and tourists? Here is a great article that might inspire you: How to tell a story through your photography.

Feel free to edit your post and add the Google Maps link of this place. By doing so, the other Local Guides will visualize better where this church is located.

You can edit your publication following the helpful instructions that you will find here: Edit your post - Why and How To.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 6

This church is really an impressive gentle giant. From my angle, it seems to dwarve the surrounding buildings. Thanks for sharing this majestic beauty.

Level 7

This church looks amazing! Does it cost anything to view the inside of it? 

Nicholai Martin/Nick M
@HeyitsNicho
Level 9

Thanks for the guidance @BorrisS 

This is one of the famous tourist destination in the place and also, this was in my bucket list to visit after the recent renovation of this church!

I hope I have made the required edits as per the forum and do let me know if there's anything else required. 

Best

Kahnster

Level 9

Thanks @HeyitsNicho The entry is completely free and there's no restriction for people of any religion. 

Connect Moderator

It looks very impressive and in a great seaside location @Kahnster. Just from your photos I get the impression that it dwarfs all other buildings in the area.

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!